Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1966 Corvette Brake & Signal Light Problems

Goaler29

Corvette
1966 Sport Coupe
I'm experiencing some electrical problems with '66 Corvette signal and brake lights.
Replaced brake switch a month ago, but problems persist.
Yesterday a short drive ended up with my battery almost completely dead, yet car started as soon as I put jumper cables on battery. It started easily when I first left house.
Here is what is going on:
1. When driving, brake lights blink like emergency flasher on, but car doesn't have a flasher. Not constant, though - goes off & on.

2. When I use left signal lever, the front left signal light blinks and so does BOTH rear brake/signal lights.
When I use right signal lever, only right side blinks - front & rear

3. Left brake light appears to be weaker than right side brake light

4. Left signal light "freezes" when I depress brake pedal when left signal light in use.
Right signal light does not "freeze" when I depress brake pedal

I replaced turn signal switch in steering column 5-6 years ago and haven't put many miles on it.

Would very much appreciate any explanations and suggestions.
Thanks!

Last edited:
First off, Welcome to CAC! :w I can't help you with your problem, but we have several really good C2 guys here who can, more than likely, help you with your problem.

GMJunkie, JohnZ, 6880 Mike you guys here?

First, you need a wiring diagram for the car.

Then you need to find all the grounding points for the brake and turn signals. Remove the screws, clean both the terminal at the end of the ground wire and the surface around the hole for the screw. Reinstall the grounds.

Road test all the lighting systems.

1966 C2 Brake & Signal Light Problems

First, you need a wiring diagram for the car.

Then you need to find all the grounding points for the brake and turn signals. Remove the screws, clean both the terminal at the end of the ground wire and the surface around the hole for the screw. Reinstall the grounds.

Road test all the lighting systems.

Thank you. I have wiring diagram and trying to find grounding points. Might be a problem accessing rear taillights.

Any possibility it could be the flasher relay unit?
I note when I turn off signal light I am hearing flasher unit still clicking as if it is operating for a few beats.
That would certainly be the simplest solution to address.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom