Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1967 Bolt On Aluminum Wheel Center Cap

I bought a "suction cup" device from LICS - would think you could devise something similar using any kind of suction device - or use a very thinly tapered screw driver and protect with a cloth

I bought a "suction cup" device from LICS - would think you could devise something similar using any kind of suction device - or use a very thinly tapered screw driver and protect with a cloth

The very thin screw driver with padding is what I do on mine. Works just fine for me.

I've been down that road many times, and the best tool I've found for removing my bolt-on caps is an ordinary seal puller; I just stick a rag behind it where it touches the wheel, give it a yank, and the "hawk bill" under a fin on the sunburst cap pops it right off. Anything else is an exercise in frustration, especially the screwdriver routine. :)

SealPuller.JPG

:beer

67 Bolt On Alum Wheel Center Cap Removal

Hi John,

I was reading your reply to a question about the removal of the center cap on 1967 bolt on wheels. I used a screw driver the first time and was kind of disapointed on how it worked. I could see damage happening if I kept doing it that way. I saw the tool in the pic you sent, went to Sears and bought it for a little over 6 bucks and let me tell you.....it worked like butter. Wonderful!!! It couldn't have been easier. Thank you very, very much.

Regards,

BTXpress
64 Daytona Blue Coupe
67 Rally Red Convt

Glad I could help - the last thing you want is to break one of the fins, with the starburst caps going for $250+ each these days. :)

JL66,
Great question,I've taken mine off many times w/screw drivers and have scraped up the surfaces behind the cap. Never thought about asking for a better way to do it.Thats what I like about this forum,a wealth off knowledge.
How many sets of clips have you used,it seems like every time I take my caps off,I break at least 1 out off the 4.And at $16/set of 4..
JohnZ,thanks for your idea.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom