Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1968 four-speed shifter problem

M

mgms_1968

My shifter in my vette is acting up. When I am trying to shift from reverse to the forward pattern I nearly have to hit the shifter with a hammer.

Has anyone else had this problem?

How do I fix this problem.

Thanks

only from reverse to forward?
how's the clutch pedal?
maybe bushings on the shifter rods?

Some times the shifter just starts to come apart. After two shifters we welded ours together.

George

The clutch feels fine. In fact the cluth is fairly new 15-20,000 miles on it.

Yes the problem only happens when I try to shift from reverse to foward.

My guess is that the shifter itself is the original unit and is just worn out, but would like to know if this is a common problem or not.

Thanks

I had this problem with my 74 and a stock shifter. I would back out of the drive way, then go to put it in first, and it would lock down. I could usually wiggle and jiggle and it would go, then not give me problems for a long time.

While out of town one time, it did it at a Jiffy store in the middle of the night. I had to get underneath and bang at it to pop it loose.

After that we replaced some of the shifter parts (bushings, rods, etc.) and never had another problem.

Have you checked the linkage adjusting nuts on the reverse linkage? Maybe they managed to viberate loose and it's a simple adjustment / tighting issue. Just a thought.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom