Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1969 fuel tank

W

winscheldc

When I purchased the car I noticed the gas tank filler hole was not centered when you lifted gas cap it was pushed back. I assumed the straps had slid? After pulling tank , cleaning etc. and then attempting to put it back in (no way).

In order to get straps around tank after cross bar is in place tank had to be put back in with center fill hole to back of opening.

I am hoping someone may have an idea what I might do? I am afraid it might have been hit at one time and the frame cross member that the straps bolt to is bent? Hopefully I just don't know what Im am doing and their is an easier way or if anybody has any ideas. I could sure use some help.

Don't know if they make longer straps or if there are even different sizes. Or a easier way to do?

I anxiouslty await your help..

Thanks

Don:confused

Don,

I can't get my tank centered either. It is off to the passenger side just a tad and noticeable when you look into the filler hole. I verified that it is square otherwise, and swear that I can't remember how it was when I brought the car home.

I don't think you need to worry about the frame. There are slots in the cross member mount on each side, and now that you mention this I am thinking I may be able to shift mine a tad there.

I will let you know if I dig anything out here.

Did you find the original tank sticker? I found mine. It was a blast to try to read it. A friend of mine that is all into that kind of stuff came over. He sat for hours in the shop brushing it off and working it like an archeologist. There were no surprises. The sticker verified what I already knew,

Marboro Red
Black leather interior with head rest option
four speed trans
3.55 posi track
300 hsp 350 engine
black top

I think that was about it. It also said when it was made and a code for the dealer where it was sent or something. I ended up putting it in a zip lock bag and to tell you the truth have no idea where it is right now.

69MyWay said:
Did you find the original tank sticker? I found mine. It was a blast to try to read it. A friend of mine that is all into that kind of stuff came over. He sat for hours in the shop brushing it off and working it like an archeologist. There were no surprises. The sticker verified what I already knew...
... I ended up putting it in a zip lock bag and to tell you the truth have no idea where it is right now.

Go Chris (ModMan), we'll make an NCRS guy outta you someday.

As for the tank Don, I had a heck of time getting mine back in the way it came out. Mine is centered left to right, but I couldn't get it forward enough. I had purcahsed new straps and pads and the straps were not giving as much as they needed to for me to slide the tank forward. I ended up having to shave about a 1/4 inch of the tire tub top off just to get it back on and have clearance for the sending unit assembly. I'm not worried about it, it's in and I know it's not going anywhere.

Installing gas tank.

Don, I had one heck of a time installing my tank back in Sept. More than once I just had to take a break for my car's safety and my sanity (ha,ha).
About all the advice I can give is to tell you that I had 2 hyd. jacks keeping it in place while I was on my back (Had the car jacked up about 18" off my garage floor) so I would be freed up to slowly tweek it while @ the same time tightening it up.
I got my filler cap pretty much centered, but it took 2 whole days!
Believe it or not, when I was @ the point that I knew I was going to get it, the darned thing practically slid right in!
All I can suggest is take your time and look @ it as a geometric or physics problem (I know, corny) that is to say if you push on a corner of it, the opposite corner will be affected.
And keep in mind that when you're tooling down the road that beautiful vette is going to make you feel like a king! Good luck.....Mark

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom