Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1969 Rear Tire Blew Up

BobD64

Corvette
1969 Convertable
I have a 1969, 350/300hp. Driving it the other day and things are going great. About 20 minutes into my ride I can feel some vibration and the car seems to be riding a little rough. I go about two more miles and come almost to a stop and my passenger, rear tire explodes. Smoke is pouring out of the wheel-well. So much so that a neighbor called the fire department and brought out a fire extinguisher. I had it towed into my normal shop and they are at a loss at this point as to what caused it. Right away thought that the brake caliper froze up and caused the rim to heat up to such a point that the tire exploded. My shop is telling me that the brakes seem to be fine and that is not the problem.

Is there anyone out there that has had a similar problem or can point me in the right direction?

Moving out of the Site Help and Feedback forum and into the C3 Tech forum...

How old are your tires?

If a brake caliper "froze" with the brake applied you'd have noticed that right away by either that wheel locked or the car pulling. If neither of those characteristics were present, then the brake was not locked.

I think a new set of tires are in your future.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom