Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1970 Coupe Bloomington Dilema

Chuck53

Corvette
1962; 1966; 1966 GS Replica racer;1970 LT1
Looking at a nice 350/350. Very close to original and could get there with replacement of inoperative starter, water pump, and master cylinder (all of which the seller has). History is well doc'd to original owner with all paper work (tank sticker left on tank but photo'd).

The question is the paint which is pretty weak but original. There is one place which is flaked off to the primer coat and is very noticeable.

The car has certified silver at Bloominton and Top Flighted at NCRS Chapter and the Nationals in Galveston a few years ago. If I try to spot paint the rough spots or maybe paint the entire car have I ruined its survivor status? I realize the value of the car is vested in its originality and documentation, otherwise it is just another 350 hp 4 sp car, so what to do?

PS: Do you guys think a car like this could be worth low to mid $30's. Seems high to me but that note book of documentation is appealing.

Depends what your objective is for the car - are you interested in it as a genuine "Survivor" to be left alone as is, or as a car to enjoy and for others to see? It takes a special kind of enthusiast to buy a car like that and leave a "Survivor" as is and not restore it; only a very tiny number of enthusiasts really appreciate a "Survivor" for what it is. Outside of Bloomington or an NCRS judging meet, most people at shows or cruises have no interest in unrestored Corvettes.
:beer

Suvivor status is important but only if condition is acceptable. I would think that if the paint is as bad as you state you could look at seeing if a shop could blend the panel. If not a complete paint job is in order. In its current condition asking in the $30's is extremely high. Chrome bumper cars are popular but no one is going to pay that kind of money for a suvivor in need of a paint job.

Work your way back. Paint will cost you $5-7000 figure another $1000 to make it right mechanically. Complete it is easily worth $25,000 so figure at $17,000 you are in good shape.

Unless this is a big block or has a special provenance it will not be worth $30k for another 5-8 years

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom