Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1970 side vent grilles

c3guy

Corvette
72 targa blue cpe, 85,89
Just purchased a 1970 LS5 car, 1 female owner from her estate. It is 100% original, Daytona Yellow, with a scant 53,477 miles on it. She was a tiny woman, and the interior is like brand new! Unfortunately 32 years ago, according to the full paperwork, including protecto-plate, it received a medium quality repaint. The egg crates were completely painted yellow. I'm hoping that some of you guys, have an original paint car, and could share some detailed pics of what was painted, and what was exposed. I have a 72 .as well, and they are slightly different. I'm not interested in buying an NCRS judging manual, just yet, unless somebody has one, that they are done with? So detailed pics, of 70-72 would be lovely, and a great help to, me. Thanks in advance guys, and if for whatever reason, I've posted this in the wrong spot, Rob, please feel free to move it.

Try Google > Images and see what you kick up. I believe only the top edges were chrome on the 70 models, but don't quote me on that.

Dr. Dobbins' book is a good photo reference:
ql507-1.jpg

The NCRS manual you say you don't want has the specifics.
70-72001.jpg

:thumb

On a 70,only the horizontal lines were taped off. The vertical lines were painted. On 71-72 cars both the horizontal and vertical lines were taped off. It may be possible to lightly sand off the paint on the horizontal ribs and polish them up with a dremel tool. Hope this helps.

The grills are die cast and the edges were chromed. With age, the chrome will corrode and it's common for the edges to be sanded and the whole grill painted. If the the entire grill is painted, then the underlaying chrome is probably gone. Removing the paint may not revel what you hope to see. There are chrome shops that can restore the grills, but that will require the existing paint to be removed. Re-painting the grills probably will result in a finish that won't match the rest of the car. It may be best to leave the grills as they are.

The M.F. Dobbins book, while an excellent reference, is out of print and no longer available unless one can locate a used copy. A replacement reference would be Richard Prince's "Corvette Restoration Guide", which covers 1968 to 1982 models.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom