Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1972 vs. 2002

Which is better? A 1972 or 2002 Corvette?

• 1972 Corvette

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • 2002 Corvette

Votes: 23 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
corvette girl said:
What do you think about the 1972 corvette vs. the 2002 corvette???

Apples and oranges...different, but both good to have.

GerryLP:cool

what's good about them and what's bad?? im tyring to do a research paper for my class and i want the peoples opinion about it....

My opinion?

From my perspective-I like to do my own work. I can work on my car. I don't have a lot of knowledge of the modern systems. If I have a miss or a stumble-I can figure it out. Can't say that about the newer ones. But, the steering, brakes and suspension on the modern ones are far superior to 1972 models.

As others have said in different posts, you should get the newest, lowest mileage car you can afford. And, I did-I traded a restored '72 Chevelle SS to get my car-that's what I could afford. I like my choice. Not everyone is in that position, however.

Personally, I like my shark. It's a nice looking car, gets a lot of nice comments and it's different-you don't see many of them. I cannot really tell the difference between a '97-'04 'Vette. But, you can't hardly tell the difference between a '70-'72 either, and certainly not between '71 and '72-they are identical in looks. I love them all, however. I want one of each!

Bottom line, I like mine because I can fix it, it's different, and it's mine-no payment book. :)

Rick
:gap

For me personally I would go with the 72, but then again I am partial to the Sharks.

One of each would suit me just fine!:)

That being said, they two different cars.

The 2002 being stuffed full of modern technology, computer controlled, able to drive back and forth to work in perfect calm and comfort all the while getting 25 mpg or better. This ease of use is combined with the ability to shred pavement and corners with the simple stab of the gas pedal and a twitch of the steering wheel. Oh yeah, it won't creak and groan over uneven pavement.

Now the 1972. Oh yaaa baaby! Big cubic inches. Big carburettors. 10-12 MPG. Chrome bumpers. 1950's/60's chassis that will rattle your fillings loose. Computers? Hell no! YOU had to drive these things. Built during the fading days of the horsepower wars, they were designed to go fast and look like nothing else on the road while doing it. Comfort and ergonomics be damned. I love it!

Each is a pretty good representative of the social views, economic climate and technology of it's time.

Plus, while the '02's are depreciating, the '72's are appreciating and you can still get a nice 72 for a bit less than a nice '02.

You should contact the local Corvette club and see for yourself. I'm sure they would be more than happy to help.

Just my $0.02.
:gap

I thought this would be an easy question. I like the power of the 2004(350hp versus 270 hp for the 1972 454), but I think I like the looks of the 1972. They are such different cars, in so many different ways. I think it really would depend on what your using the car for, daily driver or 2nd/3rd car. I can't decide.:confused

Good and Bad? -My Opinion

Styling
Good - the 72 has that gorgeous classic coke bottle shape
Bad - the 02 rear styling butt ugly (pun intended).

Engine choices-
72 had three - two small blocks 200hp & 255hp and a 270hp big block
02 had two - both small blocks 350 hp and 405hp

Trans choices-
72 - 3 speed automatic or 4 speed manual
02 - 4 speed auto or 6 speed manual (both with overdrive ratios giving better HWY MPG).

Emissions requirements
72 is exempt in most states
02 must pass smog in all states

Price -
For the same money today you can get a really nice example base 72 or maybe a big block for the cost of a nice 2002, but that 02 is still depreciating.

Luxury-
Both were available with leather seating, power windows, AC, tilt steering adjustment, but the 02 will have more equipment.. like cruse control, memory seats etc.
The 02 seats are more comfortable and it has more usable storage space.

Insurance –
72 eligible for collector car rates with all specialty ins co’s.
02 only a few will allow collector car rates with this year, but most owners will use as a daily driver.

Braking-
Both have 4 wheel disk brakes, but the 02 has modern ABS and traction controls.
The tire contact patch is larger on the newer model which helps breaking and handling performance.

While I have not owned a newer corvette I have friends who do and when we are out in public with them mine gets more attention and comments.

I have one of each, an '02 Z06 and a '72 small block convertible. The '02 is the better car; better handling, power, confort, economy. But the '72 has soul and will never be mistaken for a Camaro! Nobody notices the '02, but as said before, everybody notices the '72.
Mike

corvette girl said:

Gimme a '73 !:w

(Im not sure about the last shows, but at the first Cruisefest in Auburn , all the awards went to
C3's...)

I have a C3 and a C5 and I agree with most of the above posts it really depends on what you want. If I could have only one and it was my daily driver (which my C5 is) it would be the C5. The C3 is much simpler but I have also adapted to working on the C5 in over 30,000 miles the only things I have replaced are Oil, filters, headlight switch and the seat tracks. It will hit 100,000 miles by the end of summer most likely on the trip to Carlisle.

But that being said I get more comments on the C3 even though it is much rougher then the C5;LOL

corvette girl said:

C3 has my vote.

Are you also posting your question in the C5 General Discussion area? Don't you think we might be just a tad bit biased in here? :L

Chocolate and strawberry ice cream. Which is better?

Save your time and your words because the things that make one better than the other cannot be measured.

Let's do another survey - what size shoe do you wear? Or briefs or boxers. ;)

Sorry, I hate surveys like this.

GaryS said:
Chocolate and strawberry ice cream. Which is better?

Save your time and your words because the things that make one better than the other cannot be measured.

Let's do another survey - what size shoe do you wear? Or briefs or boxers. ;)

Sorry, I hate surveys like this.

i know it can be a little bias and stupid but im doing this for a class research paper and i just want peoples opinion on it that's all....

corvette girl said:
i know it can be a little bias and stupid but im doing this for a class research paper and i just want peoples opinion on it that's all....

Your question was, "What do you think about the 1972 corvette vs. the 2002 corvette?..."

First, your question is not specific enough to elicit reponses that could be accurately quantified. Second, how would you collect quantitative information about these opinions from just one population (i.e., C3 area)? I beleive with some degree of accuracy, one could predict the outcome....

fine69 said:
Your question was, "What do you think about the 1972 corvette vs. the 2002 corvette?..."

First, your question is not specific enough to elicit reponses that could be accurately quantified. Second, how would you collect quantitative information about these opinions from just one population (i.e., C3 area)? I beleive with some degree of accuracy, one could predict the outcome....

i also have like three other forums too that i have the question posted on and two of them are where a variety of people go to...so therefore i can see opinions from both ends of the spectrum and not just one or the other....

It would seem that this young lady is new to the Corvette in general and dont know the diffrence between a C1 and a C6.....not everyone does.
this looks like a simple enough question from an enquiring mind. i think its cool that she chose the CAC for input.
Please let us know what your results are and the grade that you get on the project.
And Welcome to the CAC Corvettegirl :w
Chas

Chas said:
It would seem that this young lady is new to the Corvette in general and dont know the diffrence between a C1 and a C6.....not everyone does.
this looks like a simple enough question from an enquiring mind. i think its cool that she chose the CAC for input.
Please let us know what your results are and the grade that you get on the project.
And Welcome to the CAC Corvettegirl :w
Chas

i not really new to the corvette in general because i have been in love with the '72 since the first time i saw it and the was about 6 years now, i a am new to all the terminology like the C1 and C3 and what not....that's why i chose to do this topic because i want to know more about them in general...everything....thank you and when this is all done in about 8 weeks i will let you guys know what my results are and my grade.

Been there, done that.

Better than what? If you want mind bending performance, reliability, comfort, gas mileage, high dealer repair cost, and depreciation you get a C5/C6 any year.

On the other hand if you want so so performance, fair dependability (depending on how it was rebuilt, they were not built well), OK reliability, minimal comfort, shade tree maintenance, and some added value each year keep the '72.

If you use it to attend shows and parades, stay with the '72, or any shark from '72 and older, but if you want an all around road machine get a C5/C6 any year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom