Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1972 vs. 2002

Which is better? A 1972 or 2002 Corvette?

• 1972 Corvette

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • 2002 Corvette

Votes: 23 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mind letting us know what class, grade this project is for?

I find it a bit hard to believe it is to compare a 72 Corvette to a 2002 Corvette

I would say this project is more concerned with you performing a survey or some type of sampling poll, but as has been mentioned, it is to vague for a valid statistical analysis.

Don't let these comments scare you off, as whatever grade you may be doing this for, I am sure the CAC members are willing to assist. So ask away.

i not really new to the corvette in general because i have been in love with the '72 since the first time i saw it and the was about 6 years now, i a am new to all the terminology like the C1 and C3 and what not....that's why i chose to do this topic because i want to know more about them in general...everything....thank you and when this is all done in about 8 weeks i will let you guys know what my results are and my grade.

:D I like the C'3 Vette ..It turns heads , sitting or driving.....Gotta love those C-3's..

Pseudomind said:
Do you mind letting us know what class, grade this project is for?

I find it a bit hard to believe it is to compare a 72 Corvette to a 2002 Corvette

I would say this project is more concerned with you performing a survey or some type of sampling poll, but as has been mentioned, it is to vague for a valid statistical analysis.

Don't let these comments scare you off, as whatever grade you may be doing this for, I am sure the CAC members are willing to assist. So ask away.

i am doing this for my Research and Technical Writing class. i have to do a research paper on something and i chose this because i love the corvette. I already asked my teacher if this was okay and she said it was that's why i am on the forum....

okay lets start with the performance of the '72 vs. '02.....

now if you don't mind me asking because i don't know much of the terminology...what year(s) is the C3...C5...ect..

C1= 1953-1962 AKA solid axels
C2= 1963-1967 AKA Mid Years
C3= 1968-1982 AKA Sharks
C4= 1984-1996
C5= 1997-2004
C6= 2005-

The newer Corvettes C5 &C6 are far superior cars from almost every standpoint mechanically. They are the benefit of 50+ years of advancements in technology. They are computer controlled, run smoother, run quieter, and run cleaner as they get newer.

They earlier Corvettes have old technology that date back to the 20's and 30's combined with some race tested mechanical innovations some of which are still used today. They were far more unique vehicles in their day than Corvettes are today. Their styling was unparrelled and when you saw a C1, 2, or 3 Corvette there was no mistaking what you were looking at. Even the different generations looked nothing like their predecessers. Not so today with the C5 and 6 being very similar to each other and to some other cars on the road.

Corvette performance has always been its hallmark. They outperformed most cars in their day as they do so today. Their performance today again is suported by 50+ years of advancements. The performance in the older Corvettes is epitomized by pure raw power coupled with the best in handling components available in its day.

A comparison of the two is difficult at best but it is all a matter of taste. If you want to turn some heads drive a C1, C2, or C3 corvette primarily because the are not seen very often today yet their styling is timeless.

Never owned either but I did own a 71 and now have a 98 so....

Put quite simply, the 71 was better to look at and cruise; the 98 is wayyyyy more fun to drive and is essentially a daily driver for me. In four years my 71 racked up a whopping 3000 miles. In one year the 98 racked up 9000.

Oh, and by the way, since this survey is posted in the C3 forums, I think it just might be a bit biased;).

A photo for ya..

Heres a pic of the six diffrent "Generations". C1 is furthest away and in order from there.
This is a Photo from the CAC's First Cruise fest in Auburn Indiana....:w

13068Auburn_pics_169.jpg

Please note the date at the bottom of the photo....we had the rare chance to get up close with the C6 a few months before it was available for sale to the public. Thanks to 6Shooter!

The 72 is very archaic by today's standards. In 72 it was state of the art, much as the 2002 was in 02. With gas at 3.00 dollars per gallon, I would prefer the 72 since neither is realistically going to be driven much.

The 72 has a "presence" that the 02 will NEVER have, in my opinion.

billyvette said:
...With gas at 3.00 dollars per gallon, I would prefer the 72 since neither is realistically going to be driven much...

I drive my 2002 every day. It is the only car that I own. It gets pretty good gas mileage on the hightway, and not too bad in town.

The BMW belongs to my wife.

Here's a good test.Get one of each car and park them at your local busy gas station and see how many comments you get on each car.

sharkcar71 said:
Here's a good test.Get one of each car and park them at your local busy gas station and see how many comments you get on each car.
Yeah, then send them both down a twistie and see which one runs into the trees first;LOL. "Professional drivers on a closed course, don't try this at home." :D

GaryS said:
Chocolate and strawberry ice cream. Which is better?
actually, I like vanilla - size 9, and neither.
Anyhoo, you're going to get good support for the 72 in this forum. Very different cars indeed. Just take 72 vs. 82. One is a 'chrome bumper' car, carbureted, flat back window, made in St. Louis, MO painted with lacquer. The 82 has neoprene 'shock absorbing' bumpers, cross fire fuel injection and a 'fast back' rear window made in Bowling Green, KY with base coat - clear coat enamel. You could easily get 10 pages of discussion on this forum between these two models in the same class.
OK, now back to your question - 72 vs. 02. The newer model has anti-lock brakes, rack and pinion steering, airbags - and some with a whopping 405HP! A lot of technology in 30 years, and the Corvette always gets it first. Examples would be 4 wheel disc brakes, CD players, fuel injection - and they now have 'keyless' ignition that will be on everyhing in a few years. The 72 will be easier to maintain, the 02 shouldn't need it yet. The 02 will still have the original paint, and could still be under warranty.
A bona fide 'car guy' will almost always tak the older car - less car, more driver. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Craig

okay how about this....cuz everyone is saying my question is bias in this section......What is good and bad about the '72 'vette in every aspect??? and i will post the same thng about the '02 in the right forum section...okay....;)

corvette girl said:
okay how about this....cuz everyone is saying my question is bias in this section......What is good and bad about the '72 'vette in every aspect??? and i will post the same thng about the '02 in the right forum section...okay....;)

1972- BAD THING: it isn't a 2002

2002- BAD THING: it isn't a 1972

In MHO, the cars are identcal after all the trade-offs are made.

I'd recommend that you don'y buy either until you know what it is that you want. Otherwise, you'll always wonder...

I will answer the question a little differently.

Bad: Two seats, rides a little rough, poor storage/cargo room, noisy, fairly poor in-town gas mileage, can't take the kids along, afraid to park it in parking lots, fairly expensive, etc.

Good: stunning performance, two seats, rides a little rough, loud, stunning performance (again), looks great, can't take the kids along, inexpensive for the level of performance,

I guess that what I am trying to say is that no Corvette can be considered a practical car. They are not good for hauling groceries, but they certainly haul a$$. If a person wants practical, then a minivan, SUV, or pickup truck is good. If a person wants a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride, get a big sedan. But if you want a fun car to drive, the "Vette is a great choice.

Ive always liked the vintage vettes. Im a shark fan, I love all vettes, but C3s for some reason are my favorite. Most 16 yo listen to rap and drive ricers... Myself, a 16 yo owns a 79 stingray, and listens to classic rock (and before you think my dad pays for it..... Ive worked home construction for the last 3 years). It seems that the C3s get the most attention, mostly because the style is out of this world. No matter how you look at, or where you post this question, everyone on this site loves vettes. Vettes suck in every practical way. When you go impractical, thats when you start having fun!
They all cost alot of money and take alot of time/ effort, but, when you get out on a long, straight road, alone, and you put the petal to the floor, its all becomes worth it. VETTES KIK A
zachh
mine: 79 L82 http://www.nationalshowcars.com/am/listings/l0186.html
186_7.jpg

nice i like it....yeah my dream is a '72...i haven't been able to start saving for it because i just moved out of my moms house and i am a full time college student...so it sucks but one day i will own one....and it will be my baby and my treasure...

corvette girl said:
nice i like it....yeah my dream is a '72...i haven't been able to start saving for it because i just moved out of my moms house and i am a full time college student...so it sucks but one day i will own one....and it will be my baby and my treasure...

Good luck with your dream. You sound like a young woman who will achieve whatever you set your mind to.

The first thing I want to say is I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

02 - Even though many of them are owned by Corvette people, the 02 is more likely to be owned by someone who is not a "Corvette person"
02 - Less likely to get grief if you mod it from stock
02 - # matching probably will not increase the value of the car much

72 - More likely to need repair
72 - More likely to get grief if you mod it from stock
72 - # matching probably will increase the value of the car

I am not sure how to vote. It's like being forced to pick which child gets the only treat you have left. It's not fair to leave the other one out.

DRTH VTR said:
Good luck with your dream. You sound like a young woman who will achieve whatever you set your mind to.

yeah i am that kinda girl....there has been a lot of things in my short 19 years of life that i have achieved and even more so when people told me that i couldn't do it or i wouldn't make it and as long as i keep my mind focused i can do anything that i want to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom