Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1972 whats it worth

danco1972

HiGroup. I live in Pennsylvania and am interested in a 1972 corvette convertible.It is a two owner car with 50000 documented miles. It is a numbers matching car. It is redwith a black interior. It has the standard 350 cu. in. engine, a/c, p/s, autotrans, hard top and tilt wheel. It appears to be a solid daily driver type vehicle,with the following issues: smokes at startup but clears up after a few minutes,power steering is leaking (not sure if it’s the pump or the steering gear), aircondition not working, tachometer not working, driver’s seat has a tear and thefront clip has been repainted years ago. I am not a corvette person and I waswondering what an acceptable purchase price would be for this vehicle.

Corvette DNA gives it a retail value of $23,500.00 equipped as you described and in good condition. From that you would need to deduct the cost of the needed repairs. The smoke on startup is most likely the valve seals and possibly the valve guides so the cost of having the heads removed and reconditioned would be considered. P/S is likely the slave cylinder and hoses. A/C could be a minor leak or a major repair. Is the paint repair obvious or acceptable and was it due to damage? All of these things will reduce the value from the price above.

I'd seek out a competent repair shop that does Corvette work (could be a specialty shop or a dealer that does a lot of Corvette work) and ask them to give you a range of costs for these repairs. Based on your repair costs you may be making your first offer in the mid to upper teens. Of course if he is already asking a low price hit him even lower citing what it's going to cost to put the car in fully operational condition.

It's also a good idea to have a shop check over the car before you make an offer looking for frame and birdcage rust and any other costly repairs that are needed.

Tom

What's the asking price ? Im getting ready for work,so I wont be back till Wed AM.

the gentleman is asking 25K for the vehicle.
The gentleman is delusional. I'll admit chrome bumpers & being a vert add's some value,but not that much & what it needs & I'll guarantee ya it's gonna need more its over priced.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom