Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1973 Coupe Purchase Advice

spiral gray

Corvette
2004 Spiral Gray Metallic
I currently own a 2004 MSGM Coupe, but have been thinking about adding a C3 to my stable. I've owned a '77 and a '79, but not a pre-EPA C3. What are the things I should look for and be aware of in my search?

Thanks, Spiral Gray

Not sure what you mean by pre-EPA, but if you mean pre-smog stuff, you'll have to go back much further than '73. The first anti pollution stuff appeared in 1962 IIRC.

'73s have the same weak points as any other year C3 so make sure the frame and birdcage are top notch. If you're looking for an original motored car, have somebody along who is very familiar with numbers and dates.

Maybe he is just referring to the pre catalytic converter Corvettes. As for the smog pumps, most of those are gone from these cars anyway, unless you look really hard. Ultimately, it is up to you to figure out what you are looking for. A show car? A driver? A weekend cruiser? If you don't want to do any work other than normal maintenance you would be wise to spend a little more for one that has been restored (body on or off) within the last few years.

Other than that, look for rust on the frame and bird cage. One easy way to determine if there is a large amount of rust in the bird cage is to lay down a white towel under the drivers side pedals and against the left side of the car and close the door repeatedly. If there are little rust flakes on the towel, walk away.

Let us know what you are looking for and we can help a little more. Either way, enjoy the hunt :upthumbs

Thanks for the replies. The pre-catalytic converter is what I meant by pre-EPA. I am looking for an original, numbers matching, clean, car to drive occasionally. I don't mind doing a little minor restoration and possibly paint, but was wondering what problems to typically look for such as rust and where to look. Appreciate the tip on using the towel. Any hints as to typical problems or alterations. Just some advice which could help me steer clear of a real problem car which could become a money pit.

Thanks, Spiral Gray

C3BuyersGuide.jpg

Good reading. Worth the price of a copy.

I'm curious. What's an MSGM Coupe?

:thumb

Thanks for the replies. The pre-catalytic converter is what I meant by pre-EPA. I am looking for an original, numbers matching, clean, car to drive occasionally. I don't mind doing a little minor restoration and possibly paint, but was wondering what problems to typically look for such as rust and where to look. Appreciate the tip on using the towel. Any hints as to typical problems or alterations. Just some advice which could help me steer clear of a real problem car which could become a money pit.

Thanks, Spiral Gray

If you're going to spend original engine money ('matching numbers' is a meaningless phrase), hire an inspector to go over the car and make sure it's not a restamp. At a minimum, post pictures here for opinions.

Thanks for the comments. I'll invest in the buyer's guide and post pictures prior to purchase. MSGM = Medium Spiral Gray Metallic.

Spiral Gray

I currently own a 2004 MSGM Coupe, but have been thinking about adding a C3 to my stable. I've owned a '77 and a '79, but not a pre-EPA C3. What are the things I should look for and be aware of in my search?

Thanks, Spiral Gray

For some general info on the '73, check out the '73Spot, www.73spot.com

tom...

Loved mine back in the day.....
Wish I had it back...traded for an 82CE....:bash

Cheers - STW
:beer

Attachments

• 1275.jpg
    1275.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 1278.jpg
    1278.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 82

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom