Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1973 Steering Problem

Good point and I had to go back and reread the post. I thought all parts were replaced and the problem started. I've had a few rebuilt valves act like this. I've also rebuilt the original valves on my vettes without a problem.
What was the outcome with the other cylinder? I've have pneumatic cylinders on machines with a bad piston seal and got crazy motion from them, this could be similar.
Usually with a worn box the steering will be loose but you won't have to fight it on the road.You'll have a lot of slop on center.
I'd be interested to see where this one ends up.

UPDATE!!!!!
I bought a third Steering cylinder from MID AMERICA (re-manf). Installed it and took my time with it. I had both front tires jacked-up and I left the shaft off the frame bracket from the cylinder/ram. I took a long neck funnel and added 3 dixie cups of fluid to the PS unit. Last time I poured it out of the bottle and it over flowed. I started her up and as is normal it made a SCREECHING sound. I shut her off and the PS unit was dry. I added 3 more dixie cups, started it up and it had less screeching. I moved the wheel all right and all left, and shut her down. Added more fluid, cranked er up and did the same thing. NOISE was gone. I let it sit sit for awhile and checked the fluid. Added 2 dixie cups of fluid and started her again. Back & Forth with the wheel and shut her off. I did this several more times and hooked the shaft up to the frame bracket. NOTE: I checked the fluid with a flashlight and it was yellow, not clear! I kept doing this, letting it sit for @ 10 min. and the fluid became clear. NO AIR BUBBLES! Now I'm going nuts, and praying. Took her off the jacks and went on this back country road and I had tears in my eyes! 80MPH driving with my little finger. NICE. VERY NICE!!! THANKS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, just sometimes the parts are just bad. New but bad.

Occam's Razor
[SIZE=+1]one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything[/SIZE]
:beer

Glad you got it. Control valves have had QC issues for a while now, sorry to say.
Watch 80 MPH on the back roads too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom