Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1974 Points ignition to HEI

jetset0045

Corvette
1974 Stingray Coupe
I'm going to be doing some engine work this fall, mostly top end stuff, with heads, cam, intake, carb, etc.....and thought this would be a perfect time to eliminate the points and go with an HEI electronic ignition....but i'm a little unsure about the wiring that will be involved in this swap, and what hardware i will need to buy.....any suggestions or guidance.....?

thanks in advance....:w

won't a later model 75-76-77 tach fit in the dash and work with the new distributor....?

I know Mikey will Flame me for suggesting this but I know a lot of people that are using the Pertronix conversion in their points dist. and having no problems.

I did see that petronix conversion, but i don't know much about it.....what have you heard shark?

I know Mikey will Flame me for suggesting this but I know a lot of people that are using the Pertronix conversion in their points dist. and having no problems.

No flames. The first generation pertronixs was known for reliability issues, whether owner induced or design fault I don't know. The newer units seem to be more robust.

Nonetheless, all they do is relieve the owner of adjusting the dwell maybe once a year and changing the points every five (?) years. Again, no performance gain.

I agree with Mike, I run points in my 69 & 72 and have HEI in the 75 and never saw much difference in normal usage. I too have heard of issues with those aftermarket kits. Your call but sometimes you don't have to reinvent the wheel to have a nice reliable car.

Pertronics units work great. Have them in 4 cars of my own and have put several in for customers. If you go that way be sure to check the distrib. shaft for woble as it is a zero tollerance fit.

You wont lose your tach if you get an HEI with tach drive distributer. There is a company called All Ignition that sells one on ebay for 120 bucks that works very well. I have had one in mine for 2 years now with no issues. You will have to go to HEI wiring of course, and you cant use the normal coil wiring anymore. Just run a wire from the pink wire under the dash to the + side of the new HEI and it will run fine.

Hey Jetset, I switched out my stock points dist. for an HEI with a mech tach drive. Works great. I know of guys that have installed '75 tach in dash dropped in a HEI plus tach filter and they had no trouble. It was easier to buy the mech drive dist. than change out the tachs

rgtrough beat me to it..... I also installed an HEI with the mechanical tach drive and it works great. Much better than points. I just keep an extra HEI rotor in the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom