Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1975 Corvette

mlazaro75

Corvette
n/a
Hello Everyone:

I am a new member =)

I just had a question but please allow me to provide the background.

I have been liking the1980-1982 Corvette body style. But I wanted to get a smog exempt Corvette so I have been shopping around to get a 1974 or 1975 Corvette. Here is my question. Can a 1980-1982 Corvette front end/bumper attached on a 1974-1975 Corvette front end? if so, have you seen/done one before? if so, what (if any) problems you encountered? if so, what was your resolved/resolution?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

...Can a 1980-1982 Corvette front end/bumper attached on a 1974-1975 Corvette front end?...

No. The hood surround panel changed with the 80-82 bumper covers. In order to make the swap, you would have to change out the hood surround panel. Expensive and unnecessary.

You might want to take a look at a reproduction fiberglass 75-79 bumper which looks like the 80-82 noses. Eckler used to have one of these; other vendors might also have them.

Welcome!!

:)

No. The hood surround panel changed with the 80-82 bumper covers. In order to make the swap, you would have to change out the hood surround panel. Expensive and unnecessary.

You might want to take a look at a reproduction fiberglass 75-79 bumper which looks like the 80-82 noses. Eckler used to have one of these; other vendors might also have them.

Welcome!!

:blue: wut he sed...

22_3.jpg

The bigger visual difference between 68-77 and 78-82 would be the rear glass. The 78-82 would have the "fast back" domed rear window. 78 and 79 had bolt on front and rear spoilers. 80-82 had the spoilers molded into the front and rear bumpers.

So the bigger question is...
Do you want the flat glass (68-77) or domed glass (78-82).

As for the spoiler...
I have seen the rear spoiler and bumper from an 80-82 mounted on a 68-77. I'm not sure if it is a direct fit or if some modifications would be needed.

I've never seen the front spoiler and bumper from 80-82 mounted on a 68-77.

Another idea would be a 68-77 where you added the bolt on spoilers from 78-79.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures when you find the car!

Hello Everyone:

I am a new member =)

I just had a question but please allow me to provide the background.

I have been liking the1980-1982 Corvette body style. But I wanted to get a smog exempt Corvette so I have been shopping around to get a 1974 or 1975 Corvette. Here is my question. Can a 1980-1982 Corvette front end/bumper attached on a 1974-1975 Corvette front end? if so, have you seen/done one before? if so, what (if any) problems you encountered? if so, what was your resolved/resolution?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

It can be done. It will take A LOT of work though. Eckler's used to stock fender pieces that would adapt the 74-79 fron ends to the 80-82 style bumpers. I didn't see it on their site- but you can call them.

Keep in mind- you'll still need ALL THE OTHER parts like the frame extension, braces, lights, etc.

Vanacor sells the pieces. They call it a half front fender.

page35.jpg

If you really like the 80-82 front ends, I'd get a fiberglass pace spoiler and flush mount it.

Vette79,

I would like that but the 80-82 reminds me of the car my neighbor had. 2 tone black/grey corvette when I first saw in 1990. kind of stuck in my head. Also i was trying to avoid smogging the car every 2 years..but if you have any examples or know of ways where i can get a 80-82 vette w/out having to worry about passing smog while at the same time having the power of the older corvettes..i would not mind expanding my shopping for a 74-75 and also 80-82...thanx for the responses everyone.

...but if you have any examples or know of ways where i can get a 80-82 vette w/out having to worry about passing smog while at the same time having the power of the older corvettes..i would not mind expanding my shopping for a 74-75 and also 80-82...

FWIW: 1980 L-82 230 net hp. Will pass emissions everywhere except California if the catcon and AIR pump are in place. Nothing has the power of the older Corvettes other than the older Corvettes.

6880 Mike,

I wish I can move from California. =) but I figure if I stumble upon an 80-82 that I cannot pass up I may just try to keep it original w/ X fingers I should pass smog otherwise..If I went the route of beefing it up..I may have to spend an extra 3 bills to bribe local smog technicians in letting me go. LOL...

mlazaro75...

I see you're getting acquainted with everyone. As you can probably tell by now, we've got a great community here and some really friendly and helpful Corvette folks.

Good luck with your search!
And welcome to the Corvette Action Center.
:wJane Ann

Air pumps and Catalytic Converters are not what caused the drop in Horse Power.

This was caused by two things:
1) the way that horse power was rated. Prior to 1972 horse power was based on SAE Gross horse power. It was measured on a blue printed motor, running on a stand without accessories or stock exhaust manifold. After 1971 they switched to SAE Net horse power. This was measured on a production engine, with stock exhaust and all accessories.
2) In the mid 70's compression ratios were lowered in order to attain better gas mileage.

For example: the 1969 L88 (427 cid) Corvette had a compression ratio of 12.5:1 and was advertised at 430 HP at 5200 RPM. The 1982 L82 (350 cid) Corvette has a compression ratio of 9.0:1 and was advertised at 200 HP at 4500 RPM.

That is 1.007 hp/cubic inch in 1969, and 0.571 hp/cubic inch in 1982. It took more than an AIR pump and catalytic converter to cause that.

If you want a 1980-1982 then you might as well buy it and keep the emissions. They don't make that big a difference.

Good Luck!

mlazaro75...

I see you're getting acquainted with everyone. As you can probably tell by now, we've got a great community here and some really friendly and helpful Corvette folks.

Good luck with your search!
And welcome to the Corvette Action Center.
:wJane Ann

Thank you Jane Ann =)

Air pumps and Catalytic Converters are not what caused the drop in Horse Power.

This was caused by two things:
1) the way that horse power was rated. Prior to 1972 horse power was based on SAE Gross horse power. It was measured on a blue printed motor, running on a stand without accessories or stock exhaust manifold. After 1971 they switched to SAE Net horse power. This was measured on a production engine, with stock exhaust and all accessories.
2) In the mid 70's compression ratios were lowered in order to attain better gas mileage.

For example: the 1969 L88 (427 cid) Corvette had a compression ratio of 12.5:1 and was advertised at 430 HP at 5200 RPM. The 1982 L82 (350 cid) Corvette has a compression ratio of 9.0:1 and was advertised at 200 HP at 4500 RPM.

That is 1.007 hp/cubic inch in 1969, and 0.571 hp/cubic inch in 1982. It took more than an AIR pump and catalytic converter to cause that

If you want a 1980-1982 then you might as well buy it and keep the emissions. They don't make that big a difference.

Good Luck!

minifridge1138:

Thank you for the explanation minifridge1138. I have decided to expand my search. considering 80-82 now as well the 74-75.

I have to mention that I found a 74 for sale w/ the ecklers front and back bumper that 6880mike and DarkShark mentioned earlier but out of my reach for the asking price. But worth to mention, it doesnt look that bad of a modification.. but i think its better w/ the original.

minifridge1138:

Thank you for the explanation minifridge1138. I have decided to expand my search. considering 80-82 now as well the 74-75.

I have to mention that I found a 74 for sale w/ the ecklers front and back bumper that 6880mike and DarkShark mentioned earlier but out of my reach for the asking price. But worth to mention, it doesnt look that bad of a modification.. but i think its better w/ the original.

What is your price range?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom