Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1975 covette coil rear suspension

H

hamish

I have recently bought a 75 vette and it has coil rear suspension not leaf suspension like most I have seen.

Can anybody tell me if this was a factory or aftermarket option. It looks original and works very well.

hamish said:
I have recently bought a 75 vette and it has coil rear suspension not leaf suspension like most I have seen.

Can anybody tell me if this was a factory or aftermarket option. It looks original and works very well.

As Tyla pointed out .. since 1963.. and to the best of my knowledge the transverse rear spring has been the only factory option type springs I am aware of. They came standard or in an FE package with a stablizer bar. The stablizer connects to the top of the frame mount where the bolt goes through the trailing arm secured there by two smaller bolts on each side.

Take a look at the 1975 Spec. Sheet and see what you find. The Monoleaf spring was introduced in the automatics in 1981, for a weight savings of 33lbs. ;)

~ hamish ~ Welcome to The CorvetteActionCenterCommunity ~
BudD
:w

Thanks for the comments.

I'll describe the setup further which might shed more light on the setup.

The shocks are in front of the axle and appear to be a standard type setup.

Its the coils themselves which seem strange. They are behind the axle, and sit on heavy hangers which are attached to and extend from the axle housing.

The coils are quite heavy which provide a reasonably firm ride and the ride quality seems very good.

I'll take some photos in the next day or two and post them here.

The whole car seems a bit of a hybrid. Its one of the earlier 75s made and has got several bits that must have been left over from the 74.

If anybody have any further infomation on this particular car which came to New Zealand in 1992 I'd be greatful. The build number is 1Z37J5S405714.

Its not easy getting details on an american cars history from New Zealand...

Yes, Please post some pictures, I would love to see this setup..............Steve

No 75, or any C2 or C3 for that matter, came with a coil spring rear suspension. The car in question has some kind of aftermarket or custom-fabricated rear susp.

A common modification for very high-power drag racing C3s was to remove the rear independant suspension and replace it with a live axle (often a nine-inch Ford but sometimes a Dana 60 or a 12-bolt Chevy) and a coil spring suspension.

Perhaps that was done to the car in question.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom