Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1978 Corvette Dash Speaker

R

Rich

Hi,

I have to replace the right dash speaker on my 1978 Corvette. Is this a big project?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I'm not exactly sure on the '78 dash, but if it's the same as the '81 dash, it's not a big project at all. There's just a little cover at each side for the speakers on top of the dash. Just get a shorty flathead screwdriver to pry the cover off. It's held on with tabs if I remember correctly. Then it's just unscrew the screws holding the speaker in place, disconnect the wires and put the new one in. I changed the dash speakers in my '81 in about 20-30 minutes.

Don't know if this helps or not, but I hope it does. :)

T Jay

T Jay's got it

Just lift up the covers and you're at the speakers.
Silver aka:Heidi

btw...Rich, welcome from another 78!

why

Why do you want dash speakers? I pulled mine out of the 74 and they fell apart in my hands. I put in some exspensive kick board speakers and then ordered the rear speaker box for the back, new stereo with remote cd. Now it looks stock but sounds great.. Think the sun really does a number on the dash speakers.

Wamp 74'

Not a hard job to replace but I found the clearance in the 82 didn't allow for a good quality speaker. I'm considering doing what Wamp suggests and replacing with kick panel units.
By the way, I bought the upgraded direct replacement from MA and fried it in a week. :mad And I only listen to Classical music
:L :_rock :_rock

I replaced the dash units in my 77. Just a couple of screws, the vent duct and a light that connects to the back of the lower dash.

You can get good quality units to add. While you're at it, you might want to replace the right as well. This involves taking off the inner windshield trim, removing the 1 screw that holds the upper dash pad in place and lifting out the pad.

Bob

Rich, You shouldn't need to remove the dash pad as the little speaker doors pop right off. You will however, need an "S" shaped screw driver to get at the back screws up against the windshield. You can get decent upgraded speakers that will fit right in the same holes but if you want to get really crazy with high power speaks, you won't have the available depth in the hole. I upgraded to Jensens and the sound improved dramatically. Be patient, and careful with the speaker doors. Sometimes overexposure to the sun will make them brittle.

................. Nut

Pioneer 4x6 speakers fit okay. They are what I put in mine. Even had room for bass filters on them. It's a close fit, but there is room. Sound quality is Pioneer too. :D

T Jay

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom