Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1978 corvette wont start

Missing Lenk

This will take a little to explain so bear with me

i was driving down the road when all of the sudden the car died. i couldn't really tell because i was going straight and didn't need power steering. i went to accelerate and thats when i realized what happened. it was not normal because none of the lights came on. no interior lights, no dash lights, no nothing. i went to go turn the car on but it wouldn't do anything. no cranking and no clicking, all silent.

figured the battery died.. unusual while driving but i have been surprised before. went to jump it but to no avail. I parked it and took the battery to an auto store to have it checked (figured it was more than the battery but thought i would have it checked anyway) Battery was good and had plenty of charge.

went under the hood and used a less conventional method of testing the starter... i used a screw driver and connected to power and ground together to make sure it was getting power. the engine cranked over tell my my starter is still cranking. yet the key wont do anything

turning the key to the on position doesn't do anything. no interior lights, no dash lights, nothing. dropped the steering column and pulled out the ignition switch. went to the auto store bought a new ignition switch and quickly plugged it in and used a screw driver to run the slot, where the ignition rod would go, forward to engage it to test if it would work. nothing happened.

so this is where i am at. Battery: Good, Starter: Good, Ignition switch: Replaced but inoperable. I am at a loss of which direction to go next. if anyone has any clue i would be very appreciative.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom