Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1978 pace

Dad2

Corvette
1978 pace
I have a 1978 Pace car...I am new to corvettes..so I have a lot to learn
Engine needs rebuild...so was wondering if a big block would fit without mods...I have a 454 block and 427 cross drilled crank, and I can get the rest, but want to keep old engine all together....but would like to put in a 427... Will It Fit Without Mods To Car

Thanks All

...so was wondering if a big block would fit without mods...

Yes and No.

Yes in that a big block will fit within the engine compartment.
No in that you will need stiffer front springs and shocks to carry the additional weight of the big block. Since all factory big block cars came with a rear stabilizer bar, you may want to consider adding one.

FWIW: You will devalue the Pace Car by making this swap.

:)

Yes and No.

FWIW: You will devalue the Pace Car by making this swap.

:)

May be to the vette purist.

I've actually had more $$ offered for mine then when it was stock. No one has offered what I want yet so I've still got her. I do still have the orginal motor (pickled) that is dire need of rebuild. I also have the orginal tranny.

Now I can enjoy driving the car and not have to worry about toasting the orginal motor. What a blast to drive now. Nothing like giving these cars a nice boost in HP and with the 4-speed auto the engine dosen't work nearly as hard.

I still laugh at the jaw drop last year at Carlisle as I came crusing in to the PC parking area:chuckle. Funny thing is my car got more photos taken of it then the PC that won the contest:cool.

:w
HD

I resemble that remark.
;LOL

I hear-ya;). I think I may have talked to you as I was doing my project.

12127d1167399877-pics-my-new-78-pace-car-pc1.jpg

The only external difference now are the chrome side pipes and a higher profile hood to hide the setup. Open the hood and you will see this setting under the hood:

16056d1207492000-corvettes-carlisle-details-c3-6.jpg

:w
HD

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom