Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1978 Track Duty Pace Car

jaclar0

Corvette
1980 4-speed
I am helping my father begin a restoration on his 1978 Pace Car he has owned since around 1985. It has 55,000 original miles, save normal maintenance items, and it equipped with the L48 and automatic. I have been rebuilding my red 1980 for several years now.

With such a solid foundation, we are keeping the 78 in judging condition, but you have to admit, the L48 leaves you wanting a little more. In keeping with the spirit of originality, we want to build the engine to the same specifications the original number one track duty vehicle was built to, and maybe even the entire car if the data was available.

This information has proven a little more difficult to find than expected. Maybe someone out there will have an inside scoop!

Joseph
jaclar0@yahoo.com

Joseph,

First of all, welcome to the :CAC! Where are you in KY? We have our 3rd annual Cruise-Fest coming up in Bowling Green in June.

I don't know how much of this is true, but the press releases back in 78 claimed that the 78 Vette was an unmodified L-82 car except for the bubble-gum lights on the top. They made a point that this was the first ever Indy Pace car that was able to pace the race in fully stock form. Again, this was the press info, perhaps others can attest to the truth of this.

Now how they were optioned is another story.

driveline

Eric said:
Here's one link attesting to the stock build --> http://www.indypacecars.com/1978.html.

I have read many reviews and articles covering these cars. Most of them of course say the same basic info and stats, reading data straight from Mike Antonick's Black Book (we love you Mike).

However, several years ago I was surfing the net one cold winter night and found some scanned pages of an old magazine (Hot Rod, Super Chevy?) from around 1978 that discussed the unique engine characteristics in extreme detail. I've been kicking myself ever since for not saving and printing out that link, and have tried every search engine and keyword possible since my dad decided to do this. So I know its out there.

Thanks for the help guys. We'll get it!

if i remember the section in "corvette from the inside" correctly, there was a discussion that because of the ever-increasing EPA requirements, and corvette's extreme difficulty in complying with the regulations of the day, exactly how they could insure the cars sent to the track could perform properly (in compliance with the requirements). even though the track cars were "production line" vehicles, it wasn't quite so cut and dry. according to dave mcclendon, they pulled cars from the line randomly, upon completion, and tested and retested them (including tweaking them) to insure that the cars they sent to the track could meet the race (and pace) minimum requirements. it is for this reason that with the exception of the true pace car that was awarded to the race winner, it is virtually impossible to substantiate any other cars claim to having been on the track that day since they were from different completion times and not in any serial number sequence. it appears that there was not a record kept of the various serial numbers of the parade cars, etc as they were eventually returned to GM and probably just sold.

I was scanning some magazine advertisements at a popular online auction, and found an issue of Hi-Performance Cars Monthly. One of the cover stories in the picture was "Build Your Own Mustang Indy Pace Car Engine." Not quite what me and dad have in mind, but a different issue just might have the Corvette specs. Thought I would add this in case you guys are pack rats like me!

It turns out we're all wrong. I found the article on ebay, and the 'custom' car I remembered was Pace Car serial number 2. Since it was used all week for track duty, and not only race day, it was built to different performance specs. However, the article did state the race day vehicle was stock, save safety items. So if I could just found out who actually built the engine...

10 or 12 of the Pace Cars were shipped from St. Louis to a firm in Indy where the pace car graphics were applied and the cars were prepped for use at the track. Can't recall for certain, but it would not surprise me to learn these cars were shipped to GM-Warren first and tweaked to perfection before being sent on to Indy. You can bet GM did not want even the hint of bad publicity surrounding the car, especially in light of the price speculation on the cars which was already under way at the time.

If memory serves, four cars were selected for actual use as pace cars for the race and prepped with light bars and two holders in the rear deck for the crossed flags. Don't quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that all four of these cars were factory stock L-82 four speeds.

The remaining eight or so cars were not used to pace the race, but were used for Indy 500 festival parade and publicity purposes and for providing transportation around the Brickyard for VIPs.

Technically, with the exception of the lights, flag holders and possibly a little pre-race TLC from Warren, your car is already like those used at the track and to pace the race.

Do the Google thing and you are likely to find plenty of information regarding the Pace Cars.

:)

I believe the true pace cars also had holes in the rear fenders to hold flags as well

I have to ask this question: what is your intent?
If you want stock, show quality then it seems the basic L-82 is the way to go. Everything i've ever read said that the Pace car was stock (except for safety equipment).
If you want more performance, then you're going to have to do some modification on the engine.

Personally, i'm a fan of the "sleeper" approach. Bone stock on the outside, muscle under the hood.

78-vette2aMedium.jpg

Took a couple of days to find the pic, but here's a track duty PC. Note flag holders in the rear deck.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom