Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1979 350 rear main seal question

wonl2

Corvette
I have a 1979 with a 350 engine and automatic transmission. The car has just under 60,000 miles. I bought the car in November of 2013 and noticed that there is a small amount (3 - 5 drops) of oil under the car after driving. I understand that the 350 engine is notorious for rear main seal leaks. I purchased a new Fel-Pro rear main seal as well as a new Fel-Pro oil pan gasket. I bought the rear main seal fearing the worst and hoping for the best.
What is a tell tale sign the rear main seal is leaking? When I removed the flywheel cover, the flywheel and torque converter were dry and oil free. I would think that if the rear main seal was leaking, the interior of the bell housing would be soaked with oil. Am I wrong?

I think you are spot on with your logic. Normally it is the valve cover gaskets that are leaking. They are notorious.

The belief that the Gen 1 Small-Block V8 is "notorious" for rear main seal leaks is misguided. While it is true that rear main leaks are possible, the older Small-Block is not an engine which has a chronic problem with that.

If you found no leakage once you removed the converter cover then the rear main is not leaking.

You're dripping oil is coming from somewhere else.

Change the valve cover gaskets and see what happens.

Thanks Frank and Hib, I was planning on replacing the valve cover gaskets anyway. That's my weekend project, among other fixes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom