Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1979 corvette steering column loose?

Lots of ideas..

Is it loose up and down or side to side?

Either way, the most common problem with GM's tilt columns is the screws that hold the lower tilt bowl onto the mast jacket. Confused yet?
I am.

It's not a big deal to fix, only takes a couple of special tools, a long Saturday if you've never been in there before, and some red loctite.

And this will help too: Jim Shea’s Steering Papers

In Jim Shea's papers on GM steering, you can find exactly what's loose with pictures and directions on how to fix it. Jim is a retired engineer from GM's Saginaw Division- the guys that made the steering.

It's really not a big deal to fix. Basically, you'll need to pull the column apart down to the lower fixed part of the tilt mechanism, remove 4 screws one at a time, goo them up with red loctite, put them back in and tighten them up. If it's also a telescopic colum, it's a little more interesting because of the added stuff, and you'll need a couple of parts on hand because they ALWAYS break (can't get around it- remember these parts are plastic and 30+ years old).
All the info is contained in those papers, and if you get stuck, we're all here.

Sorry for the flip comments- Just couldn't help myself.;):joke

when you grab the wheel it moves about a half inch at an angle in a downward movement towards the left. I allready had the column taken apart last weekend. I had it all the way down to the housing where the 4 inverted torque screws are. I tightend those up along with any other related screws. I have been told that the tilt housing where the pins go into wear out, because the pins are steel and the column is aluminum. the problem is trying to find that part. and what is involved in taking that part out. I think I just have to pull the shaft out and then take those 4 bolts out.

To get the lower tilt bowl off, you do need to remove the shaft. It's way easier to pull the entire column as a unit and rebuild it on the bench. It can be done in the car, but it's much easier on the bench.

IIRC, the tilt bowl parts are out there, I don't recall which vendor. They may even still be available from GM.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom