Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1979 Side Emblems

Andy

Corvette
1976 Millenium Yellow / 1979 Greenwood Daytona
Purchased a few new emblems, side emblems to be exact at Carlisle and want to install them. Any tricks to this one or do they simply "pop" in? Would appreciate.

Thanks CAC..

Andy

Andy said:
Purchased a few new emblems, side emblems to be exact at Carlisle and want to install them. Any tricks to this one or do they simply "pop" in? Would appreciate.

Thanks CAC..

Andy
Hey Andy, on your car I doubt that these are still on the factory way. You will have to get in behind to see what's going on. I've seen them stuck on with just about everything. I put the rear CORVETTE emblem on with a little dab of silicon on each post with the factory nuts to keep it from rubbing on the paint. If you can't access the back of the embles because of your Greenwood fenders you will have to do something like silicon to help them stay put without vibration.

Ron:)

Andy said:

Thanks CAC..

Andy
Andy, use double sticky back tape. I used it on my 79 emblems over 15 years ago and they are still on tight. Good luck.
Paul

Ron...Many Thanks....Nice meeting u at Carlisle!! Thanks for the tip...Emblems are such a small piece , but really can make the difference..I'll let u know how this works out. I've tried to go underneath and can't find anything, as far as posts go...let me take a second look...Bummer that carlisle is over......but they did post the winners pics..check out the website. www.corvettesatcarlisle.com.
Stay in touch!

Andy :)

Tweek said:
Hey Andy, on your car I doubt that these are still on the factory way. You will have to get in behind to see what's going on. I've seen them stuck on with just about everything. I put the rear CORVETTE emblem on with a little dab of silicon on each post with the factory nuts to keep it from rubbing on the paint. If you can't access the back of the embles because of your Greenwood fenders you will have to do something like silicon to help them stay put without vibration.

Ron:)

Paul..thanks...I was even thinking super glue(yikes)...I'll post how I made out....Do these emblems simply pull off?????

Paul T said:
Andy, use double sticky back tape. I used it on my 79 emblems over 15 years ago and they are still on tight. Good luck.
Paul

Andy said:
Paul..thanks...I was even thinking super glue(yikes)...I'll post how I made out....Do these emblems simply pull off?????

depending on how they are installed! they may still be on with speed nuts in which case you'll need to get behind them and "unbolt" the speed nuts. the emblems shouuld fall off in your hand if that's how they were mounted.

if they were applied with something like the 3M double sided molding tape, i suggest that you use a mild heat source like a hair blower (or park the car in the direct sunlight to heat the emblem and the body) and gently work some dental floss behind the emblems to break away the existing adhesive source and then gently pry the emblem off.

hope that helps you out some.

steve

Well, it looks like the emblems are NOT held on with any speed nuts. As a matter of fact, I can't even feel any posts coming through the outer fender well, SO..It sure looks like they are being held with some type of tape and boy are they holding tight. I'm afraid of screwing up the paint on the car as well....I guess We will try the heat source next.....Keep u posted.

Andy

srs244 said:
depending on how they are installed! they may still be on with speed nuts in which case you'll need to get behind them and "unbolt" the speed nuts. the emblems shouuld fall off in your hand if that's how they were mounted.

if they were applied with something like the 3M double sided molding tape, i suggest that you use a mild heat source like a hair blower (or park the car in the direct sunlight to heat the emblem and the body) and gently work some dental floss behind the emblems to break away the existing adhesive source and then gently pry the emblem off.

hope that helps you out some.

steve

Andy

you DON'T want to risk damaging the paint. If nothing else works let me know and we can drive the car down and see Joe who painted my car. i'm sure he would have a suggestion or two to get it off.

Barry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom