Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 frame replacement project - body drop!

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
after three months of work on Sundays we finally got the body dropped back down on the replacement frame today!

there were a few things to do beforehand such as last minute installs of the vacuum cannister, a new lower speedo cable plus double checking pretty much every nut, bolt, and screw on the frame, suspension, etc to make sure we didn't miss anything. We also test fitted the new exhaust system than removed it again. We still need to get in a new heat riser valve or spacer for it.
Also, one thing we noticed today that we didn't notice previously was that two of the body mount locations on the body itself were completely rusted thru so we had to fabricate up a couple metal plates to attach to the bottom of the body at those locations.
Finally, we got the body dropped down and bolted up.

It's sure nice getting to this point in the project. With the body back down it won't be too much longer until we are done. I figure about another two working sundays and the car should be ready to go home. unfortunately, we can't work on it next Sunday as that's our clubs annual show and some of us are not available the following Sunday either but at least we are close and almost done. At this point it's mostly just reconnecting all the cables, electrial wires, and vacuum lines plus some other misc stuff not to mention reinstalling the fanblade and clutch, radiator, refilling all the fluids, reinstalling the hood, installing the exhaust, and repairing the steering column, etc

Here are today's pictures:
http://www.vetteclub.org/1980_Project/projectpics10.html

YEA! It's a CAR again!
Andy

yep, it's a car again in one piece rather than two......... :)

it sure feels good nearing the end and being able to start to see the finish line from here.
It will sure be interesting on the first test drive to see just how bad the front and rear alignment is out. It's going to need to get into an alignment shop BAD as soon as it's running.

It will sure be interesting on the first test drive to see just how bad the front and rear alignment is out. It's going to need to get into an alignment shop BAD as soon as it's running.
Ya ever do the ol' laser measurement trick? My mechanic showed me when we converted my car to the Steeroids rack & pinion.
Basically, you take a laser-level and mark hashes at the front & rear outside corner of each tire. Then you take your tape measure and measure the distance driver to passenger side between the corresponding hash marks. The difference between the front hash marks and the rear hash marks is essentially your degree of +/- toe adjustment. It's not perfect (obviously), but with very little tweaking we got it real damn close to being spot on!
:cool

I haven't been around for a while, so I might have missed a few updates. Did you end up getting all new brake stuff or did you end up using those brake lines I sent ya?
And did that kid get dirty yet? Last I recall there were pics of 'before and after' of a day's work and his nice white shirt at the beginning was still a nice white shirt at the end! hahahah... :L

Hi Andre

been wondering where you have been at!

no, no laser trick, thisa is the first I've heard of it. For alignment all we are going to do is eyeball it as best we can and than get it to the alignment shop. It should be an "interesting" drive there to say the least! ;LOL

we did end up getting a complete brake kit from Muskegon Brakes so I will be sending back to you that one hardline and the flex hoses since we didn't need to use them but we did GREATLY appreciate you helping us out. :beer :beer

Mike, the young car owner has gotten plenty dirty pretty much every week. I give him a lot of credit, he works his butt off every Sunday with us on this car, on every job we give him, and sticks with it until he gets it done. He doesn't give up when he gets stuck, he just sticks with it. He has learned a lot about his car on this project and i'd venture that it's not something he is ever goting to forget.

He has learned a lot about his car on this project and i'd venture that it's not something he is ever goting to forget.
He has also learned a good bit about the generous nature of his fellow Corvette owners. Well done, Barry!!

-Mac

I hope so Mac, that was one of the main reasons we did this. He had gotten screwed by the seller of the car so we hoped to show him a more positive side of the corvette community.

Nice work ! I'm new here but I have done 3 other vehicles like you are doing here. It was tough sometimes but the finished project was always satisfying to me. But I am one of those guys that really like to do my own work. Looks like you have a nice supervisor there too. ;) I had one that would carry off the tools talk about irritating. :ugh

Chewie was only the supervisor for last week. It was great weather, warm but not too hot, and while we were working on the car I figured I'd let him come out and play too instead of being stuck inside the house at home all alone. The house we are working at has 3 acres for him to run and sniff and explore so he was really happy. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom