Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 fuse box

Sal

I was just wondering if anyone knows exactly what the wire that goes in the fuse box location BAT is responsible for. I think its orange. If it is not plugged in, what would happen?
Thanks;shrug

Well, here's what happened, I was playing around with the fuse box and unplugged that wire, forgot and tried to start the car. It sounded horrible and something like a noise from the starter or a backfire happened. I immediately remembered that the wire was disconnected and reconeccted it. After trying to start again, the same thing happened... Does anyone know what I did?:W

i can say that it probably gives power to the fuse box, but im not sure...

Do you have the 1981 wiring diagram? Assembly Manual? Factory Shop Manual?

An orange wire plugged into the "BAT" cavity supplies full-time (key on or off) battery power from the fuse block to whatever is on the other end of that wire; normally an optional device that needs power all the time.

:beer

An orange wire plugged into the "BAT" cavity supplies full-time (key on or off) battery power from the fuse block to whatever is on the other end of that wire; normally an optional device that needs power all the time.

John- I've used the BAT lead for my TPI swaps on my C3 Vettes. You are correct- continuous power.

I have the chiltons and haynes manuals but not the assembly manual...Im not sure what device it could be... i will have to snoop around... i dont think it has any aftermarket stuff....:)

Without a factory shop manual, you'll just be shooting in the dark. :ugh

Sal, did you get your issue resolved yet?

I haven't resolved it yet, ive been too busy, do you have any suggestions??;shrug thanks for asking...

My 81 shop manual wiring diagram fig 8c-41 pg 10 of 11 shows that a orange wire from the "Bat" fuse panel, feed continous battery voltage to the ECM circuit #440. The big "Q" is what does the lack of battery voltage do to the ECM internal circuit components. Also my wiring diagram shows that as many as 7 other circuits depend on the battery voltage from that orange wire. Some of these are basic warning systems, etc. I would think the ECM is the cause of you poorly running eng and since the problem is still there after you reconnected the orange wire. You need to have the ECM tested by someone with the electronic (ECM) test equipment, to determine what fix needs to be done.

*thread resurrection*

Initial post was for a 1980 fuse box so I'm wondering if this is for an '80 or '81. If Sal is even still around...

*thread resurrection*

Initial post was for a 1980 fuse box so I'm wondering if this is for an '80 or '81. If Sal is even still around...
There may also be significant difference between my 81 configured for sale in SoCal an those in Illinois. I spent time Glenview NAS (66 - 68), don't remember needing to meet any SMOG then, don't kown if requirements have changed. My 81 fuse block has mulitipule "BAT" plug-ins. Sal's orange wire may feed circuits different then those shown in my 81 shop manual (purchased right after I purchase Vet new in 81). After market shop manual may show more details.
Good Trouble Shooting!!
Save the Wave!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom