Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 intake manifold color

king80vette

Corvette
1980 Blue Coupe
Does anyone know what color a stock 1980 intake is. Some people say its painted aluminum, others say its painted blue with the engine.
Thanks Steve

I have an 80. The intake is is aluminum and not painted.

I had it blasted to clean it up.

Some of the early production 1980's L48 motor had actually a cast iron intake manifold. The upgraded L82 motor had the aluminum intake manifold from the get go.

By the end of the production year both motors had the aluminum intake.

Hope that's not to much info.:eek

Enigma

81 had an Alum. intake? Wow, I didn't know they beefed up the intake like that. I have cast iron. :( Real good air flowing. :D

I have an 80, #2327, the intake is aluminium, and painted blue

Ron

The reason I'm asking is that someone replaced my intake with an Edelbrock one. I now have the correct gm intake. I noticed that the NCRS Technical manual says that it should be "painted with a dull aluminum paint". But most of the ones I have seen at shows are painted blue. Looks like I will go with blue.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Steve

The ones painted a "dull aluminum" were the L-82 intakes. The "aluminum" L-48 intakes were painted "on the engine" at the same time the whole engine was painted BLUE. Visa versa for the aluminum intakes on an L-82. GM had a generic fitting "mask" that covered the rest of the motor when the intake was painted silver, this is why we see "silver over blue" like at the back of the block and the top of the water pump on '80 L-82s on super original low mile cars.

Paul,
Thanks for the information, that explains it. Is this documented anywhere? I would like to get my car judged by NCRS (some day). And I may need something offical in writting.
Steve

Just for the heck of it.
I had my Edelbrock "Power Coated" black. They could do it in any color you want. Cleans up real nice.

I had an 80 L48 4spd and the intake was aluminium and blue, the car was original and the intake looked like it was factory finished.

J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom