Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 Intake manifold installation

king80vette

Corvette
1980 Blue Coupe
Can anyone tell me if there is a sequence to bolting on an aluminum intake and what the proper torque for the bolts would be when installing. This is a 1980 with L48 engine. Is there a thread that explains how to replace an intake manifold?

Steve

you can do a search, i don't remember. Do you have a shop manual, its in there.

Its very easy to do, just make sure you mark the vacuum lines and put the distributor back in the same way you pulled it. Be careful with fuel lines, i cracked mine at the fuel pump when i did my intake.

Make sure to drain the coolant, otherwise you will have a big mess.

After removing all the vacuum lines, fuel line, and any wires, throttle/transmission cable you are ready to pull the 8 intake bolts. It should just lift out, if not, gently tap it with a rubber mallet to loosen it, or if you are brave, you can use a gasket scraper to pry it open at the front.

after removal, put soem shop towels in the lifter valley and scrape the old intake gasket off.

To put it back together reverse procedures. Becareful with the intake gasket. I had to redo mine as i had a big leak at the back of the block. First time i did it, i listened to others and used a gasket maker sealent, but not enough. SEcond time I did it, i used the rubber gaskets that came with the intake gaskets and have had no problems.

Thanks for the information. I found the post by Burglar and it seams to cover everything.

Steve

Be advised-

Factory specs are a good guide, but we all know they are just that- a guide. And if its wild and custom... then forget it. Its a best guess then!

Intake manifolds tightened to the manufacture's specs may or not be correct for the type of gaskets used. Example- if I remember correctly, Fel-Pro asks for a little less if you use the softer, fatter gaskets. And then if you have milled heads or a custom manifold.

As for sequence... over time things warp funny sometimes and I have seen (rarely though!) the manifold needing to be tightened a little differently than from the sequence. My advice- do it to factory specs and then watch it for a few days. Don't just assume when you are done that everything will be peachy from there on out.

Just my $.02.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom