Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 camshaft change

Hello

well my cam is gone! Does crane or summit racing sell a OEM like grind!? Parts # would help too!! Thanks 1981 vette automatic Vin(6)

well my cam is gone! Does crane or summit racing sell a OEM like grind!? Parts # would help too!! Thanks 1981 vette automatic Vin(6)

Sealed Power (aka TRW) makes camshafts with specs close to OEM. I went with a Sealed Power cam just slightly more aggressive than the stock cam in my L-46 350/350 hp engine.

Summit Racing has the Sealed Power ZCS274 which looks like it may be an appropriate OEM replacement for your '81.

I was able to get a good deal from Racer's Outlet in Indianola, IA. Their phone # is 515-961-6109.

I would also give them a call, give them the details of your car (e.g., auto/manual tranny, A/C, etc) and see what they have to offer.

Don't forget to also order replacement pushrods and lifters... perhaps there is a kit that is available.

Good luck to you...

Ralph

Your other posts indicate you have sticking valve, loose rocker stud etc ... you must have entire valvetrain looked at closely by experienced person & have it fixed before you install another cam.

The sp 274 cam Ralph suggests is a correct stock OE-type replacement for 81 vette w/ 6 vin.

Many folks think stock 81 cam is woefully weak ... & I agree!

I suggest a little more cam ... I am conservative here ... I suggest this cam for a stock/relatively stock 81 C3 ... look at summit K1102 Summit SUM-K1102 - Summit® Cam and Lifter Kits - summitracing.com ... cam WITH lifters is $90 ... you'd be hard pressed to find a better value ... and same specs as sp KC1014 below.

summit does have the same kit (as 1102 above) in sealed power box for another $50.
Sealed Power KKC1014R - - summitracing.com ... same specs as K1102 above ... and it's what sp recommends in sp catalog as upgrade for 81 vin 6

I pulled the intake off yesterday and it wiped #8 intake and #7 exhaust with a lot of metal grit throughout. its getting a overhaul!

stock motor has dished pistons and weak cam.
suggest you overhaul with flattop pistons and a bit more cam.

Let us know when & what you plan for along with realistic budget.

I would definitely pay attention to Jack's posts. He was a MAJOR influence for my decision to go with a slightly more aggressive-than-stock camshaft --- one of the best post-overhaul mods yet (thanks again, Jack :thumb )...

Ralph

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom