Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Corvette Auto to Manual Transmission Clutch Pedal Swap

Zero1Niner

Corvette
1981 White Coupe
Decided to get started on my auto to manual conversion tonight on my 1981 Corvette.

Here is are some photos of the progress.

Remove this bolt at the rag joint. I needed to completely remove it to get the steering column shaft out.
IMG_6427.JPG

Definitely remove the seat. Easy, and would be a pain in the butt if it was there.
IMG_6428.jpg

Remove the panel under the steering column.
IMG_6429.jpg

Remove the bolts at the firewall. There are 2 more bolts at on a bracket that I didnt take a photo of that are holding the steering column also.
IMG_6431.jpg

Remove the a/c duct (really easy).
IMG_6436.jpg

IMG_6438.jpg

Need to disconnect all of the wire harnesses from the steering column. There are quite a few.
IMG_6443.jpg

IMG_6445.JPG

Very cool way of showing your project. Thanks for documenting it!!

-Mac

Yeah, this is a really nice 'walk through'. Please keep it updated! :thumb
If I had this information about 9 years ago... :eyerole

Here are the remaining pics from my pedal assembly installation. Overall, it was a reasonably tough job, but would have been much easier with a little help. I recommend having someone their to help you out. :thumb

IMG_6475.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

IMG_6484.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

Great write up!

The blue connector that you see is comming from your speedo to your ECM.
Do you also have an ECM for a manual '81? I don't know if your ECM has a problem with this swap?

Greetings Peter

Thanks Peter.

That connector was not hooked up before I did the pedal swap. I havent got around to researching what is was or how important it was.

Wonder if this is contributing to my 10-11 mpg problem that got me thinking about this swap in the first place! :confused

The thing is telling the ECM what speed you're driving so the ECM can turn on or off the converter lockup (for the TH350C). If it isn't connected then the ECM will give a error code and I think will go into open cycle. Is your SES light (above your coolant temp gauge) working? If your SES light isn't working (going on at start up) then you can't see if the ECM is in open or closed loop (in open loop the engine is getting more fuel just to get home so that could also be your problem.)

But go on with the swap this is a great topic! :thumb

Greetings Peter

Zero1Niner,
I just completed this same conversion on my '81. I am all to familiar with that pedal swap. Definitely worth all the work though. If you're like me, you'll be happy you put the effort in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom