Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 corvette exhaust

Hello

Do the 81' corvette use exhaust manifold gaskets between the head and the manifold? The manifold looks like a little header.

There was a gasket in place when I removed the stock manifold and I installed a new gasket with long tube headers

GM did not put any gaskets between the cast iron exhaust manifolds and the heads on Chevrolet cars/trucks. The gaskets do come with aftermarket gasket kits. Headers always get gaskets.

The 1981 was the first year for the stainless tubing manifolds and they did use a seperate gasket at each port flange, unlike the aftermarket header gaskets that go across all ports. They are very expensive from GM but NAPA has the exact same thing for a few bucks.

It's part number FPGMS9275B

The flange welds on most '81 manifolds are very rough and will not seal against a smooth steel shim gasket or against the bare head. Use these stock replacemants. They don't leak or loosen. Just think about how long they have been on with no problems already. I used these on the '81 several years ago when I had to remove the manifolds to replace the AIR valves. No problems since. I also used these on the '81 manifolds I put on my stepside truck.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom