Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Corvette Introduction

hoodun

Corvette
1981 Corvette
I just bought a 1981 Vette for 2k. White w Red Interior. Its missing T-Tops, carpet is faded (was going to try carpet dye for this), and also missing emblems. It hasnt been on the road for 12 years, has 58k on it. It is currently non-op in CA, was last on the road in 1998 and was sitting in an alley. Though it doesnt look too bad. I think it has hope. It started right up and I drove it a block despite the rough engine.

The car is all original so Im going to stick with the ECM unit. I want to keep it that way since I'm in CA and dont want to replace the carb distr as some people mentioned doing on here. I want to try to pass smog with the orignal setup.

Engine runs real rough. There is no major smoke coming out the back. Just a tiny bit of grey smoke from the rough engine, I believe. Sounds like it is not running on all cylinders. The wires are really old looking... I'm starting with a basic tuneup (spark plugs, pcv, wires, fuel filter, ...?)

Check engine light is always on so I am going to check the computer codes after researching what that entails.

Headlights will not go up and take a while to go down. I already found a diagram on here for this and will troubleshoot, but not my priority. The rough engine is my priority.

Also the horn was cut because the alarm was always going off. Prob after the stolen T-tops? The seller mentioned this to me. He bought a new battery for it the day I looked at it so I think it may be killing batteries. Just a guess. I'm sure hes not telling me everything.

This is just an introduction to my new project. I'll post photos when I get them. You'll hear back from me after I replace the plugs, wires, dist rotor, pcv, and then check the error codes.

Look forward to contributing to this board.

Not A Bad Start

Not a bad start I suppose but the car's going to cost some coin to get into prime condition from the sound of it.

That ancient fuel isn't going to improve with age either but at the very least, if the worst becomes the worst, you could probably recover your money in the parts alone.

However, there's some nice cars out there that were dragged in from farmer's fields. Just depends on how deep your pockets are and your mechanical diagnostic skills.

welcome to CAC!!!!
quite a find!!!
be sure to register the '81 on the L-81 registry...
good luck with the vette!!!!!!!!

My 81 just passed CA smog after a 3 year search for missing smog equipment. First step is to figure out whats missing. Buy the GM parts book. Ebay and covette junk yards are the best bet. I tried for an exemption but only got one for two of the parts. Went to the smog referee and they do not make any exceptions. If you car does not pass 2 smog tests it will be labeled as a gross polluter and you'll need a smog check every year. Your car is running in base timing with no spark advance so until the smog system is working with the computer, dist. and carb it may not run well. Good luck and I'd be glad to help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom