Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1981 coupe

Pastor David

Corvette
1981 coupe
I just recently purchased my first Corvette, it is a 1981 coupe. Some things I could use some help with: Cruise control doesn't work, choke light stays on, power antennae doesn't work; other than that it runs really well (36,000 original miles). Any help would be much appreciated!

David ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

AND welcome to the L81VetteRegistry ;)

Cruise Control not working... most likely it's the transducer, could a fuse, but I'd bet it's more than likely the transducer ;). The transducer is located on the drivers side, just find and follow the Speedometer cable to the unit ;)

Choke Light stays on... First thing to try is to disconnect the Battery, this will reset ALL codes. If the light comes back, then it could be anything from a bad connection, ground or ??

Antenna not working... Check connection at the antenna motor, above the driverside muffler, check fuse's, this could be a a motor bad, it could be the plastic track inside the antenna and motor, could be at the radio end ;shrug

More information would be nice, does the Cruise Control work at all, does the speedometer seem to work ok, etc??? Does the Choke light come on all the time, does it stay the same brightness, does it dim when accelerating etc. ???
Can you hear the antenna motor run when you turn on / off the radio, is there voltage at the motor, etc. ???

Also I suggest finding a GM 1981 Corvette Shop Manual #ST-364-81 and a 1981 Assembly Manual is very useful ;) Ebay usually has a few, or there are aftermarket vendors that sell them. The SHOP Manual is the best investment you make, esp. if you plan to work on your 1981 + the membership here, esp. in the L81Registry Forums here at the Corvette Action Center :dance GREAT Bunch of owners

Welcome aboard, enjoy the :Steer

Bud

I just recently purchased my first Corvette, it is a 1981 coupe. Some things I could use some help with: Cruise control doesn't work, choke light stays on, power antennae doesn't work; other than that it runs really well (36,000 original miles). Any help would be much appreciated!

:welcome........ good luck with your new toy................ get used to people staring at you and riding around with a big grin on your face all the time.... and never worry about asking a question in this forum....no matter how silly you think it sounds....

lets see some pics:thumb

welcome to CAC!!!:welcome
and the l-81 registry!!!!!
enjoy the new toy...

David, Welcome to the club. Good answers so far and I wanted to add a couple of things.

The transducer is directly under your brake fluid reservoir.

On the antenna, check the following:
-The dome light, horn, and antenna are all run by the same 20 amp fuse. If the horn or dome light works then you know it is not the fuse.
-I know this sounds simple but the antenna will not come up unless you have the radio turned on.

Thanks
Terry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom