Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1981 Driveshaft to differential bolts

dan mag

Corvette
I have removed differential from my vette rear end together with the driveshaft. The problem is that these bolts has strange heads, which I am not able to unscrew. Even using pliers I could not enduce enough of power as the bolt head has small lines.
Do you have any idea how to do it?

Try a 12 point socket. Should fit just fine.

I have removed differential from my vette rear end together with the driveshaft. The problem is that these bolts has strange heads, which I am not able to unscrew. Even using pliers I could not enduce enough of power as the bolt head has small lines.
Do you have any idea how to do it?

The bolts in question are 1/4 12pt heads. You need to get a 1/4 12 point wrench, postion the wrench to where you can access it and hit it with a hammer, and no I'm not kidding. I just rebuilt my entire front and rear suspension on my '81. Once you break them free try the 1/4 socket with a long extension to remove them.

tcxd40

They look like a Torx head to me. While a 12pt socket might work, you run the risk of rounding the head and then you'll have to use a special tool to get them out.

What are your plans for the rearend? Did something break or are you just ready to freshen it up with a rebuild?

How many miles do you have on the car?

R

What are your plans for the rearend? Did something break or are you just ready to freshen it up with a rebuild?

How many miles do you have on the car?

R
It is 1981 with manual transmission, approx 100 000 miles. But I bought the car with non working odometer. And nobody know how long it did not work.

At the beginning was horrible noise coming from rear end. The original suspicion was on differential. This was approved, the differential has large clearences between inner gears. So large that if I rotate side yokes inner gears twist against each others.
Finnaly I decided for complete rebuild of rear suspension and replacing old bushings for poly and new transversial spring. There will not stay many of old parts.

LIke the other guys said, these are 12 point bolts. The 1/4 12 point socket will work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom