Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Radiator / Heater Core Hoses

G

gambit

I am about to change out all my hoses and wanted some advice before I charge right in there. In reguards to the heater core..... I cant see where the heater hose connects to, can I do it from the engine compartment or do I need to get to them from inside the car to replace the hoses? I am going to replace the hot water shut off valve as well. There is a piece of metal pipe about 6 inches long in the middle of the hose from the water pump to the heater core, I think its to keep it from touching the headders and melting, should that be attached to something? its just kind of floating aroudn now, with nothing to attach it to anywhere. Any other ideas or comments before I start?

I changed a couple of mine last year.I remember the metal pipe,but I don't know its purpose.the heater hoses connect under the right side of the firewall.I used a sharp utility knife to cut the old ones off as to not pull on the heater core when they come off,as they have probably been on there for 25 years!!!

In the L81, the metal pipe near the water pump is loosely shaped like a "Z" or stretched "S", and it is used for routing the hose around the A-C compressor bracket. It also has a metal tab with a hole, so that it can be secured to the pivot bolt for the compressor.

I am not aware of another metal pipe for these hoses...:confused

GerryLP:cool

...In reguards to the heater core..... I cant see where the heater hose connects to, can I do it from the engine compartment or do I need to get to them from inside the car to replace the hoses?...

They will be easier to see from underneath. My advice is not to tug on the hoses on the heater core end. They tend to stick. If you tug them, you run the risk of breaking the tubes loose and will create a heater core leak for yourself. Remove the clamps, then cut the old hoses away.

While you're under there, make sure the AC evaporator case drain hole is open.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom