Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Replace seats Need Help

G

gambit

I bought new foam with leather already installed, and the seats go in pretty easy but I'm having trouble getting the Backs in. Anybody got a suggestion to make it easier?

Another question. Why does the driver side seat go in with Studs and the Passenger side seat go in with bolts? I thought that was very unusual.

Another question. Under the passenger side seat near the rear there is a small 4 x 6 compartment under the carpet, but it serves no obvious purpose. Got any ideas what it was put there for? I thought may be a power seat motor but I think only the drivers side came with power seat and it does not have that same compartment.

The backs go in really hard. Try putting them in first before the bottoms. That way you have more room to put your fingers under the pad.
You have to push the bar up really hard to get it clipped into the tabs. The trick is to push up and against the seat shell at the same time with your fingertips against the bar. Pain is to be expected.

Another question. Why does the driver side seat go in with Studs and the Passenger side seat go in with bolts? I thought that was very unusual.

As I recall, the catalytic converter blocks access to the passenger side seat attachments from the bottom.

:beer

So why?

So why didnt they just make them both bolt downs?
:)

I bought new foam with leather already installed, and the seats go in pretty easy but I'm having trouble getting the Backs in. Anybody got a suggestion to make it easier?
Those backs are a 100% MF'er!!! It helps if you have two people (or just 3-4 hands).
(I'm assuming you have the seats out of the car..)
The first thing I did was dig out the extra foam from around the hook.
If you have another person available, have them hold the foam back as best as possible.
I then used two screwdrivers. Take one screwdriver and get the metal wire hook up on the shaft a little. Then use all your strength to get over to the clip on the seat back. Take another screwdriver (in your other hand) and push the hook down the shaft of the first screwdriver and hope it catches the clip.
I did it myself but figure it woulda been a little easier with someone holding the foam.
It really is a total pain. In fact, I think I gave up and was satisfied with only getting 3 of the 4 clips done on the seat back. Got the bottom clips without much problem. The top ones...;help After like 45 minutes or so, I finally got one of the top clips and said, "The hell with this!"
It holds the cushion in place just fine with the three clips.

Someone else may have a better solution.

I bought new foam with leather already installed, and the seats go in pretty easy but I'm having trouble getting the Backs in. Anybody got a suggestion to make it easier?...

If memory serves, there's a tool for this (popping the listing wires under the clips), but you can make your own from a screw driver. Grind a V into the tip, put the V over the listing wire; guide the listing wire under the clip.

Do-able, but a PITA.

:)

Here's how to do it easily

Well I got them in and it looks great, only problem is I dont fit in the car now! I am 6'6" and didnt realize how low the old foam and sunk, I fit fine before but now I hit my head and knees, but still love it!

The bottoms go in easy. On the tops I suggest two things, one is that screwdriver trick, buy a cheap one, biggest you can find and grind the V into the tip and you can get the bottom wires in after pulling out some foam around them. What I found out on the top wire is that it is NOT the same wire as the bottom one, when I tried that it almost made me pull my hair out. For the top set of clips I put the wire in that is on the edge of the seat cover, the one they Pig Ringed the cover to and it works perfect with not too much effort. Absolutely suggest taking the seats out to do this as well.

Thanks for the help guys!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom