Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 smallblock to big block conversion

hoods

the ecklers part #10420 will fit your vette the 73-76 and the 68-72 vette hoods will not even though they look simular ;)

re: removing the whole front end

You're kidding, right? It doesn't unbolt. You would have to cut it off and more than likely replace the fenders and side panels with new parts, new paint job ect. I think once you get the hood and radiator out of the way it will be easier to work on. You will have to do a lot from underneath and if you knew someone with a lift it would be even easier.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

No I wasn't kidding. While I have worked on cars most of my life this is my first Corvette. I have seen the entire front end for sale in several catalogs so I didn't know how difficult it would be to remove it. This is a great forum and I appreciate all the help that has been offered. I am asking every question I can think of because I would rather ask a dumb question than not ask and do something dumb. Thanks again, Gary

install

you do not have to do anything but pull the hood off and the radiator out to install the engine after that pulling the sbc out with a engine crane and reinstalling the bbc is not hard at all. it really helps if you have an engine tilter(summit has one for $65 part #sum-g1022) and a swivel mounted on the attachment ring so that you can turn and tilt the engine to line it up easily with the trans and mounts(2000lb swivels are available at most big hardware stores and you use two of those chain repair links that screw together on one side (2000lb size) remember you will be under that engine at some point if only with your hands and you cant lift it off if you use cheap 800lb rated swivels and links that might break ,the differance in cost is less than $15

Engine tilter

You are 100% right about the engine tilter. I bought one many years ago and it was a very good investment. I have never used a swivel, but it might be helpful.

Great advise from Grumpy. I think I will get on down to the hardware and get a few new accessories for my engine crane.
Have you decided on a hood yet?

Tom

hood

Tom, Not yet, I really want to see some up close and personal before I decide which way to go. I can always use the LS6 intake for a while if necessary. Does anyone know if there are any Corvette clubs around the Raleigh, Durham, NC area? I am only about an hour away from either city. I would certainly think there should be a few hi rise hoods in that area.

If you don't already have an engine tilt I would definitely recommend it. Once you use one you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Gary

Clubs

Gary,
I went into the "Site Resources" area and searched Corvette clubs in North Carolina and came up with these. There is a lot of information lurking in this site and I'm always finding something I didn't know was there.

Caro Vettes Corvette Club
PO Box 1654
Jacksonville NC 28541-1654
US
Phone:
Notes:

Corvettes International

Raleigh NC
US
Phone:
Notes:

Queen City Corvette Club
PO Box 473072
Charlotte NC 28247-3072
US
Phone:
Notes:

Twin Rivers Corvette Club

New Bern NC
US
Phone:
Notes:
Site Resources

clubs

Tom,

Thanks, I will check out the one in Raleigh. Gary

lineing up hood

just thought id give you some ideas as to how to remove and reinstall that hood while keeping the alignment just right
(1) before you loosen the first bolt clean the hinge and the area around it with fantastic/409/or something like that, that will remove all grease/oil
(2)lightly spray the hinge base area where it meats the hood surface with white paint( just a very light dusting coat)
(3) let it dry
( 4)now remove the bolts that go into the hood itself and leave the ones going into the car alone
(5)place the hood WHERE IT WONT GET KNOCKED OVER OR STEPPED ON
(6)when you finish working on the car(you are using fender protector mats aren't, you) the exact spot where the hinge mounts to the hood will be VERY clearly marked(outlined in white dusted paint)
(7) match hood to outline and tighten bolts
(8)spray area with the normal under hood color to hide any white paint dust
(9) let dry; and your done!

Hood

I already have the hood marked and I even used white paint (great minds think alike) hehehe.
Yes I am using fender covers.

You had mentioned earlier that the earlier big block hoods would not fit my car. I was wondering what the difference was between the earlier big block hoods and the one on my car? They sure look the same with the obvious exception of the height of the hood.

Where did the name grumpyvette come from? Are you the "Bill jenkins" of the Corvette world?

gwtill,

I sure hope you are taking pictures as you go along with this project, I really want to see how it comes out! As for a hood, I have the L-88 hood on my '81. When I started making engine mods and added headers/sidepipes the stock hood wouldn't close all the way. I bought the hood from Eckler's for about $499 plus $50 truck shipping, the hood comes ready to paint BUT more than likely you'll have to fit it first and do a bit of sanding, then re-primer and paint it. I believe it gives you almost 4 inches of additional clearance over stock. I'm thinking of adding in the aircleaner insert to the hood and converting to a complete L-88 aircleaner setup once my motor is ready to install.

Pictures

Scott, I am taking pictures. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera so I can't get the on the net until they are developed. My son has a digital and he came home this weekend and we were planning to take some pictures with his camera andput them on the forum. He remembered to bring the camera but forgot the software and download cable. We will still take some pictures and upload them soon. Gary

pictures

I had some pictures developed and I just got the prints back. I will try to scan some of the prints in soon. Hopefully I will get the digital camera working soon. Since I have never sent any pictures... How do you do it and what are the rules? I will continue to take pictures as I go along and will be glad to share them with the forum.

pictures, how to upload

How do you send pictures to the forum?

gwtill, You can post it as an attachment; it's pretty much self-explanatory when you click the attachment button. Or you can insert it directly into a post as an image: ([i m g]your image[/i m g]) - spaces inserted so you can see the commands in the brackets.

Hey Guys! I finished up the engine and am getting ready for the transplant. I need brackets from a 70 or 71 big block Corvette for my accessories, alternator, P.S., & AC. Anybody got any laying around? I am going to try to attach a few pictures just to see how it works. Let me know if you want more. Thanks, Gary

Wow that looks Go Go Go Go GOOD now I want one:upthumbs :W:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom