Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 spare tire and wheel

Bombayduck

Corvette
1981 red coupe
Hi, The 1981 I just bought didn't have a spare tire. I read where I could put a full size 15X8 wheel and tire in the carrier but was wondering if I could put a narrower rim and tire in there. What I need to know is what other size rims will fit my 1981? Also, what other GM cars have rims that will fit my 81 so I could get a used one. Thanks, Brad

The 1981 spare was a GM space-saver if you're looking for stock. It is my understanding you can find the wheels, but the space saver tire is out of production.
:thumb

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, I know that it came with a space saver spare. I wanted to know what wheel from cars OTHER than a corvette will fit my 81 AND also fit in the spare tire carrier. I'm not concerned with it being original, just want a spare in case of a flat.

Thanks. Yes, I know that it came with a space saver spare. I wanted to know what wheel from cars OTHER than a corvette will fit my 81 AND also fit in the spare tire carrier. I'm not concerned with it being original, just want a spare in case of a flat.

I've never tried to fit another space saver spare, but I would guess based upon the bolt pattern... space savers from GM Camaros and Firebirds from 81-92 would likely fit easily.

I am also guessing that pretty much any RWD GM space saver with 5 lugs... such as S10s & Blazers... with the same 5x4.75" bolt pattern would work.

:thumb

update

I found a space saver tire and wheel on ebay in good condition. :happyanim: It fits perfectly in the spare tire carrier. It didn't look like there was enough room for a full size wheel in the carrier without the bottom of the carrier hanging down another 4 or 5 inches. Thanks for the replies!
Brad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom