Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Speedometer upgrade

Are there any mods out there to change the old Speedo to a newer C5 speedo? or anything other than the low original? I am looking to replace the original with something that shows a higher mph speed than the original.

Just curious if anyone has done this.
If not, what are your thoughts on how to go about doing this? Can it be done?
I am getting tired of telling new passangers, "No, it does not go faster than 80 mph". The funny part is some of them actually believe me.

Check out this thread about the 140 mph speedo.. just click "HERE" This requires a core exchange, or it is almost $280 +

I have the one from Redline Gauges. Well worth it! Might be worthwhile to buy a new speedo cable as well, as most are shot, and for 20 bucks, worth replacing if you already have it all apart. Only thing is, as long as you don't plan on holding onto the original for originality purposes...as Bud mentioned above, you need to send it in as the core. But he gives you like 30 days!

Thanks a lot, this will be my next project!

Go for it!!!!:J

You won't be sorry. I don't know if you've been able to review the other thread on this, if not - you should.

As Ev pointed out, Red line does require the old speedo in exchange, but NOT until AFTER you've installed the new one.

Which, in my case (I would assume others also) was key.
Dealing with the other vendors would require you to send in the old one, wait 6 - 8 weeks, and cost approx. $200.00

I got my new one within a week. installed it on the weekend, sent in the old one the next, and haven't looked back!!!

Also, don't worry about quality, as far as I could tell, Red Lines was no different than the original speedo of 78

All this for a low, low price of $57.00
Which for me, was a no brainer.

Re: 1981

Corvette Craig said:
All this for a low, low price of $57.00
Which for me, was a no brainer.

Big dittos on that one!

I have a lot of fun with my speedometer questions, GEE DOES IT REALLY GO 240 MPH. Depending if the person looks like I can yank his chain is whether I say yes or no. A friend asked me are we really going 145 and I said yes lets get her up to 170 then she rides like a dream. I couldn't hold back a smile, then he noticed it is in KPH, I laughed when he called me a some descriptive names. :L:L

I don't think I will change mine because I have the entry documentation for Canada, not sure if that helps with the value but it does show some history.

Chuck:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom