Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1982 Corvette. Headers, True Dual Exhaust and Mufflers Upgrade

JSW199WT

Corvette
1982 Corvette Coupe
Hello. I own a 1982 Corvette. Everythings stock. I want to put headers and true dual exhaust on it. Ive read alot of forums and found out that i can put the o2 sensor on either bank of the dual pipes. The next question i have is, there are tubes coming out of the stock exhaust manifolds. Im pretty sure those go to the Smog pump. There is also a tube running down to the catalytic converter which when i put in Dual Exhaust, the catalytic converter wont be there anymore. I think that too runs back to the smog pump.
What can i do about these tubes??? There is a smog kit that you can put on your new headers that will connect to the 4 tubes on each side that run back to the smog pump. Should i do that??? And is there anything i can do with the tube that runs down to the catalytic converter? Can i connect it right into one side of the dual exhaust? Or can i just plug that tube? I dont want to remove the smog pump but if it does nothing to screw the car up then i will do it.

Thanks,
James

Lots of questions in there.
There are headers available that have the connections for the AIR tubes, or they can be added before you get the headers coated.
I'm among the bunch that tosses the catalytic convertor on the scrap pile, but actually, it's against federal law to remove or tamper with it.
Your state DMV have emission inspections? That will be the real driver on what you can and can't do.

You'll need to get the O2 sensor bung welded in too. Placement (distance from the head) can be important because of the heat it needs to see to operate correctly.
The computer system on your 82 is primitive by todays standards, but it's still going to throw a service engine light if it dosen't see all the stuff it likes.

I'm in the same boat with my '82.

Hedman headers part #88301-6, along with AC bracket #20110 (Ecklers has the bracket), will accept the use of the stock smog pump and the stock air pipes/fittings into the header.

However....

Have you thought about the tranny cross-member situation? We don't have the nice twin tubes openings that earlier C3's crossmembers have. Corvette Central has '80-82 dual exhaust pipes that make a sharp turn to go on the right side of the crossmember.

BUT this is meant to bolt up to the stock manifolds, NOT headers. A muffler shop is needed unless you can bend/weld pipe...AND most muffler shops will not touch a '82 emissions due to smog laws.

Depending on the $$ you wish to spend, Options are to go with chrome headers and chrome side exhaust setup (Ebay has some examples) to by pass the cross-member.
But there goes the stock look.

Or do what I did: I found a used '79 cross-member (make sure it's for an automatic) on Ebay. This will accommodate the headers/pipes setup I want with the twin holes.

KEEP ALL YOUR PARTS! I'm lucky to live in a county of California where a smog check is only needed when there is a transfer of ownership. Even so, the laws could change to bi-annual inspections and have to put everything back. (at least for the inspection! :L)

The check engine light will be an issue if the Oxy Sensor is not hot enough. May have to go to a heated sensor.
Not sure if you already know this but be ready to learn to pull the codes and understand the Cross-Fire setup. It's a learning curve! See my other posts as I've asked for assistance in the past and got some great answers.

Hope this helps and good luck.

-MOo! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom