Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 How to verify original equipment?

M

mickphipps

This may have already been posted here somewhere on this site, unfortunately, I was unable to find it. So, your help in telling me how to verify the following.

1) Where on a motor do you locate the VIN to identify if it is original motor?

2) Where on a transmission do you locate the VIN to identify if it is original transmission?

3) Where on the drive assembly (rear end) do you locate the VIN to identify if it is original drive assembly?

4) Should the numbers all be the EXACT same on all of these above equipments?

5) Please respond via email, it is easier access for me as I travel and it will be tough to get onto this forum again for a few weeks. Thank you. mickphipps@yahoo.com

God Bless....

As a prospective C3 buyer, I would also like to know the answers to Mick's questions. Go ahead and email him but go ahead and post an answer here for the rest of us to learn.

THERE IS A BOOK CALLED CORVETTE ID NUMBERS.IT WILL ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS.IT COSTS ABOUT $20 AND YOU CAN FIND IT AT MOST BOOK STORES OR IN CORVETTE CATALOGS

Vin numbers

The engine ID numbers are stamped into a pad located at the front right hand side of the engine just above the water pump casing joint.

350 automatics on the right hand vertical surface of the oil pan. 400 automatics on the blue tag attached to the right hand side of the transmission.
Standard transmissions are widely varied depending on the manufacturer Warner, Muncie, Saginaw, and 3 speed or 4 speed. so you will need to look around.

Rear axles are located on the bottom surface of the carrier at cover mounting flange.

Generaly only the last 6 digits in any vin are the ones that will match if your components are original.
:w

Welcome

:w I would just like to say welcome to 2 new Ohio members. Browse around and make yourself at home. You will get a lot of help here from a bunch of great people.

Tom

Here's a good link with pictures. The rear end is not complete but if you look on the area where the front mount attaches to the frame on both the left and right of where the yoke is there will be numbers there also...mine were too light to get an actual picture of though.

http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank/techinfo/vinguide.html

Get the following 2 books; The Corvette Black Book and The Catalog of Corvette ID Numbers. Both are excellent for determining what you should have, or what you should look for when buying.

Thank you

I haven't been here in a while. I just found my old posting here and see the notes that were left. Thank you very much for your help and tips. Also the warm welcome was appreciated.

Mick

It has been a while. Welcome back Mick. A lot has changed around here so take a look.

Tom

Mick! It's been almost a year!

Welcome and please keep coming back, everyone here is friendly and full of helpful information when you need it. Hope you frequent CACC frequently! ;)
Silver aka:Heidi

A couple of additional notes. The VIN on the engine and trans was stamped at they same time by the same worker using the same stamp so they should be identical. The VIN is not on the rearend, on the date code and the gearing code. The only other part with the VIN (except of course the VIN tag itself) is the frame.

tom...

Check out the National Corvette Restores Society, and there publication: " Corvette Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide" It goes by years of Corvettes (1980-1982 for example)
Book is uasully available at larger National Corvette shows like Carlisle and Bloomington Gold, or off the website.

or, join NCRS as a member and get all the benifits

http://www.ncrs.org

You can find all this information, and more info than you need to know in some cases

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom