Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982: "Low Fuel" light stays on despite a full tank?!?

ironmoo

Corvette
1982 white/red interior
Thought I would solve it by replaced the old worn/torn circuit overlay on the back of the center cluster with a brand new one.

Still have the problem of the LOW FUEL light remaining on despite what the fuel gauge (which does works fine) indicates. I checked the float in the tank, looks ok.

Any suggestions? Is there a part to replace or can go bad in the tank itself?

Thanks in advance!
-MoO!

i would take out the float in the tank and check it .but it could be the ground.i have never seen my low fuel light on.

The board for the low fuel light is at the gauge. If the gauge works, and is normally accurate, then that sender is fine. Either the printed circuit is broken between the gauge and board, or the board is DOA. IIRC, Willcox has a troubleshooting deal setup for the board.

Looking at an 82 print, circuit 30 is split between the gauge and the low fuel board.

Mystery solved!

The little circuit board was missing!

Apparently when I took the car in for a repair a few years ago, unknowing to me, the corvette shop removed (or lost...or forgot...) the light and circuit board, and left it out. They said they fixed the problem and I got the car back not knowing what was amiss.

I run out of gas many years later (no low fuel warning light goes on!) and when I open up the center console to find out why, I find an empty slot. No socket, no bulb, just an empty hole.

Not realizing what should go there, I put in a standard bulb/socket like the rest of the center cluster has.

...And the low fuel light would stay on.

Now I'm more educated with the car and rather upset over the matter.

But with over 20 years having passed since I had taken the car to the Calif Corvette shop for repair...sigh... I'll get it go.

Grrrrr....Never taking my car there again!

i would be mad too .20 years ago a shop messed this up, when did you buy this car .are you the first or the second owner?

i would be mad too .20 years ago a shop messed this up, when did you buy this car .are you the first or the second owner?

2nd owner.
Bought her in May of 1986.

It's been a love/hate relationship ever since. :L

She just had her 29th birthday this last week as her build date was mid-June 1982!

-MoO!

Like one of these below, just happens to be I'm working on mine
this is a wilcox image.
low%20fuel%20mod.jpg

:beer
Dave

Low Fuel Warning Module for 77-82 Vette

Low fuel warning modules are available right now on ebay for $30. They are brand new units with a warranty. I have one in my 79 and it works fine. They fit 77-82 Vettes. It was easy to install through the glove box opening. Just do an ebay search for corvette low fuel warning module. There were 7 available when I last checked.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom