Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 Power window won't go down.

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello everyone,

I am also having some problems with my power windows.
The driver's window will not roll down.

I used a volt meter to measure the power at the motor and the resistance in the motor. Everything seems fine, electrically.

Some people on the forum have told me that their windows have gotten stuck and that they had to "tap" it to get it moving again.

Any idea on how I can get the window down?
Thanks!

Yeah, the tap method works sometime.
You tap the inside of the door panel by the motor with a small hammer to get it working. It only works if the motor brushes are getting bad contact.

Otherwise, you may have to pull the motor to check it out. See this thread for insight into the guts of the door.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96248

Is there a specific place I should tap with the hammer?

What should I do if i can't get the window down?
Most instructions say that the window needs to be down.

THanks!

Is there a specific place I should tap with the hammer?
Right where the motor is bolted to the door panel.

What should I do if i can't get the window down?
Most instructions say that the window needs to be down.
I never did it, but it seems easier if the window is up and not in the way. Run some duct tape on both sides to hold it up when you take the regulator out, or wedge it so it doesn't fall down. It will be easier to take the regulator out without spring pressure on the window in the up position.
THanks!
:wAt least that's what I get from the other post.

The "Hammer Tap" worked for me when my window decided to stay down. I took off the door panel, gave the window motor a few solid taps while holding the switch in the "UP" position. Haven't had any problems in a few years now.

While the panel is off, take a look at the rest of the contacts too, such as the power door locks if you have them.

Hello everyone,

I am also having some problems with my power windows.
The driver's window will not roll down.

I used a volt meter to measure the power at the motor and the resistance in the motor. Everything seems fine, electrically.

Some people on the forum have told me that their windows have gotten stuck and that they had to "tap" it to get it moving again.

Any idea on how I can get the window down?
Thanks!

Usually the problem is going up not down. Sounds like a switch or wiring issue. Maybe the motor...not likely.

Check the wiring where it goes through the door. Its known to break there. Do you have power at the motor when toggling the switch??

Jim

Yes there is power at the motor when i hit the up/down switch.

I looked at it over the weekend, and the motor doesn't sound like it is spinning at all. So either the motor is dead, or something is physically stuck and keeping the motor from spinning.

Is it possible to get the motor out with the glass up?
Most of the repair instructions say that you need to get the window down to reach various bolts.

I may just have to take it to the body shop and let them do it (i hate working in door panels).

Any ideas are appreciated.

Yes there is power at the motor when i hit the up/down switch. So either the motor is dead, or something is physically stuck and keeping the motor from spinning.
THE_BIKE_STOP_____Hammer_Time_.jpg

:D

Its easier then you think. Take the door panel off. do this by removing the bolts on the door arm rest. remove the two screws that hold the trim plate for the door handle. Carful with the power lock switch...reach behind and unplug it. BYW You may have one or two screws buried in the carpet area.

Remove the access plate at the bottom of the door. Put a bolt threw one of the holes in the regulator to keep the window up...this is a must!!! Actually how do you know you have power at the motor if you haven't had the panel off??? Check for power there first.

If the motor has to come out reach around back and undo the the 3 bolts that hold the motor. the motor will come out of the access opening.

If you know what you are doing less them an hours work.

Look up the other link here. I posted a good picture.

Jim

I have had the panel off and used a voltmeter to measure 12V at the wiring harness. But it was hot, I was angry (i hate working in door panels), so I decided to call it a day. Working when I'm angry leads to stripped bolts.

I'll take another look this week after work.
I've got a 7 hour drive to make this weekend, and I'd like to have the windows down.

This is kinda funny, because just this weekend my window decided to stick "down" again! I swear it's been trouble-free for years until I posted in this thread about not having any problems since I last hammer-tapped it! :L:L
So, rather than pull the door panel off, I just got in the car, held the switch "up" and slammed my door closed.
Vrrrrrrrr
...up goes the window! :upthumbs

I'll have to try the door slamming/button holding trick.

I had the same problem. Mine turned out to be the motor. Replacing it wasn't hard. I had a little help from Jim,(who you're talking with already.

1982 Power window won't do down

Hello Folks:

I have been reading this thread and I must admit I am amazed. My passenger side window was stuck fully up, but I tried the "slam the door while the power window switch was down" fix and it worked. The window has a bit of hestitation here and there when going up or down, but at least it works now.

Thanks

I tried the "slam the door while the power window switch was down" fix...
I had to laugh just now. When stated like you did, it reminds me of my mom's way of fixing delicate (re: cheap) electronics. Bang the hell out of it and maybe it will work again! :eyerole
I never fully understood how banging on something fragile was going to fix it. 9 times out of 10 she'd just end up making sure it was broke. :L

thank you so very much for the excellent technical advice, i tore my door apart, taped on the drivers window motor, priced out replacements put it all back together and decided to deal with the window not going down, after i read this yesterday i held the window control in the down position and slammed the door
and PRESTO the window works!!! any suggestions on where i should kick it to get it to go a little faster!!

lmao....I too had a window stuck on my 79 yrs ago.I held the switch and slammed the door.....down the window went. I never had another problem with it. Dont know what was wrong, but it fixed it...lol.

UNBELEAVABLE

Ok, so today my "other car" wouldn't start so I drove the Corvette.
As I got in I looked grudgingly at my driver's window. Then i thought about CAC and the "slam-the-door" trick. Magically, it worked.

This is probably a temporary fix, so it is a good thing I have the motor and gear ready to install when the time comes.

Any idea what is causing our windows to stick?

Thanks for the suggestion. It was much easier than taking the door apart.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom