Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 Speedo problems

ironmoo

Corvette
1982 white/red interior
The power antenna went out and in the process of moving the car to the work area, I looked down and saw the speedometer not functioning. Grrrrr...it was fine yesterday! lol

This morning was spent searching and reading the many forum posts concerning speedometer problems on this site.

Good info indeed! :D

My situation is :
Dead needle. This was proceeded by a jumpy needle ..more light bouncing from 10 - 40 mph before smoothing out on a trip. This was going on the past few months.

Non-functional cruise control. This has been out of order for about 10 years.

Question is:
1: Would the speedo itself be okay and what is needed is a new transducer?

2: Just get all new speedo cables, (tranny to transducer & transducer to speedometer) along with the new transducer?

3: If it's needed, where does the auto trans speedometer driven gear go? At the end of the cable going into the tranny?

4: Is the speedometer itself in need of repair? While this car is bone stock, I've always fancied the thought of going to a 140 version replacing the 85 mph one with the big gold "55."

Before spending any $$, I'd like your advise.

Thanks!

-Moo

More than likely, one or both or your cables are worn out. They're both very easy to check, but you need to get out and get under.

The cause of the cable wearing out is commonly a dragging cruise control unit that puts too much load on the lower cable. If so, replacement of that unit is also in order as it will just wear out your new cable if left unfixed.

Problems I had with a 77 that sat for 16 years

1.The speedo drive gear slid off the output shaft in the trans [Automatic] found the retaining clip when I dropped the pan to change the filter.
Thought that was my answer. NOPE

2.The transducer was loaded with carbon would not turn. Cleaned it and lubricated and put back together. Guess again NOPE

3.Cleaned and lubed the cables.You no the answer

4. The needle sill bounced a little at low speed then the odometer quit altogether.Next

5. Replaced one of the plastic gears inside the speedo head all is good.

You can disconnect the cable at the transducer that goes to the speedo,then take a reversable drill and connect it to the cable. Run the drill in reverse and see if the speedo is working. Also note when you are doing this that the odometer is also working. So keep checkin

Thanks for the suggestions thus far! I'll give an update ASAP.

-Moo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom