Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1982 steering box

johnboat57

Corvette
59 corvette
I am replacing the gears in my 82 steering box, gears failed due to moisture and rust. I assume that after I shut off the engine the steering box cools down and draws in moisture, Seattle WA you know it rains here. Quetion: has any one used gearlube insted of grease in there steering box, I think it would stop my moisture problem. I know it might leekout but if I dont see it leeking it must still be in there. Has any body tried this, wat is the best way to go. thanks

I am replacing the gears in my 82 steering box, gears failed due to moisture and rust. I assume that after I shut off the engine the steering box cools down and draws in moisture, Seattle WA you know it rains here. Quetion: has any one used gearlube insted of grease in there steering box, I think it would stop my moisture problem. I know it might leekout but if I dont see it leeking it must still be in there. Has any body tried this, wat is the best way to go. thanks

Gear oil will leak out of the box, that is why GM switched to grease back in the early 60's. It's not uncommon to find the ball screw pitted at the radius for the bearings or in the teeth of the ball nut if the car sat for some time outside.

Where are you getting new gears or are you using old ones?

Thanks for the reply Gary. The steering box in my 82, the ball screw had pitted just as you stated in your reply. I ordered a new gearset from Eclers. I have found that the new pitman shaft is a little smaller in diamiter than the origenal shaft. I will press in the new bushings and hone to fit the new pitman shaft. I am using grease as you suggested, and plan to service it more often. in 30 years of use the grease had turned hard and moved away from the bearing surfaces. Thanks again for your reply.

The grease is good be sure it's not one to separate like Mobil 1 does or you may find it weeping out. Be sure to dry fit the new gears to check the preload and lash.

I am installing new gears in my steering box today, pitman bushings went well, installed the gearset tightened the adjuster plug to 5in.lb. to set the proper thrust bearing preload on the wormshaft just as stated in the chevrolet corvette shop manual. At 5in.lb. the bearing preload feels way to tight. 5-8in.lb. as the manual states even semes to tight for the small ball type bearings on the worm shaft. I backed off the adjuster plug till the bearings ran smooth and felt right @ around 1.5-2 in.lb. Next the over center gear lash adjustment. manual states 4-10 in. lb. This also feels to tight and rough, I backed off the lash adjuster screw till the gear lash felt right, wala all feels well. I use a beem type in.lb. torque wrench fore setting bearing preloads and it is of good quality, it may be off by a little but have not had any problems with it on other projects that require setting bearing preloads. Has any one els found this or is it just me and my crapy tools.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom