Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1982 With Manual 4 Speed

Brass Hat cars were always around GM. You never know where one is going to show up.

...So it appears that the car may have been modified at a dealership, but somehow maintained it's status as "new."...

Not likely for the type of swap you're talking about. The tranny change would have voided the new car power train warranty and possibly run afoul of EPA requirements since the Crossfire was not emissions certified with the 4 speed..

Have you seen this car? Have you seen the alleged 4 speed?

:thumb

I'm kinda thinking back to the "4 speed" referring to the 700R4 automatic w/ overdrive that was mentioned earlier. If I'm not mistaken '82 was the first year for that, so maybe was a selling point that could have easily been mistaken by someone that thought it meant a 4 speed manual? Maybe in some original documentation somewhere that was simply mis-interpreted?

I'm kinda thinking back to the "4 speed" referring to the 700R4 automatic w/ overdrive that was mentioned earlier. If I'm not mistaken '82 was the first year for that, so maybe was a selling point that could have easily been mistaken by someone that thought it meant a 4 speed manual? Maybe in some original documentation somewhere that was simply mis-interpreted?

I'm with you on that. :thumb

...Years ago I saw a "Perfect" 1982 Collector Edition Corvette Convertible. It would fool the best Corvette "expert"...

No it wouldn't. It might fool John Q. Public, but not the experts. Here's an 81. Very nice work, but it does not fool the experts.

47e4_4-1.jpg

:)

This is/has been a great educational thread. Having owned, new, a '74, '78 and an '81--and having been involved for 50 years with Vettes, there is a great deal of info here--and--it is all correct!!!! Hib is the man with the facts, as are many of you. My advice, is, see the car and have it inspected. Then proceed from there. BTW, I have seen the stealerships do many things to our beloved Vettes, but changing the powertrain was never one of them--because they can only sell certified cars. Then there are also the warranty issues. Can't wait to hear and see the outcome here. Best of luck.:)

Can't wait to see where this goes

I've owned, and judged, multiple 82's and am inclined to believe that something here is very wrong. She may very well be the original owner, the car may very well have a 4spd trans, but that doesn't mean it came from the factory that way.
If the Dealership thought it would sell a car, they could have had it delivered elsewhere, modified, and still delivered to the dealership via carrier.
But hey ya never know.
I'll keep watching.
:crazy

I worked with a jackass in Denver who swore he'd owned a 1983 CE..

My guess is this thing is an 81

I worked with a jackass in Denver who swore he'd owned a 1983 CE..
Well, if there was ever a time to assign something a "CE", that would be one of 'em! :W

Well, if there was ever a time to assign something a "CE", that would be one of 'em! :W

All I've seen is the AZ tiltle which show an 82. The VIN checks out as an 82 as does the CarFax. The owner is still among the missing. My emails & phone calls have not been returned.

All I've seen is the AZ tiltle which show an 82. The VIN checks out as an 82 as does the CarFax. The owner is still among the missing. My emails & phone calls have not been returned.

I've never put a vin tag from one car onto another. Not the 65 Barracuda, or the 84 Renault Alliance or the Dodge Ram I owned. Nope.. not me. Cant be done.

I've never put a vin tag from one car onto another. Not the 65 Barracuda, or the 84 Renault Alliance or the Dodge Ram I owned. Nope.. not me. Cant be done.

Okay, forget it. I have no proof of anything, that's for sure. I've never even seen the car so let's drop it. As far as I know it never existed, the seller has disappeared & must be a figment of my imagination, like her cancer must be. In fact I never existed, I'm just a loose collection of electrons that have been stringing you folks along for the past few weeks.

It would be cool to find some uber rare documented one-of , but I think this would have been discovered long time ago.

This was a fun thread

It was fun.

Except for those that chose to be sarcastic rather than helpful.

It was fun.

Except for those that chose to be sarcastic rather than helpful.
You're not a bad collection of electrons, all things tolled... ;)

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom