Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1984 "4+3" overdrive "console switch"

muskiemike

Corvette
1984 Gunmetal Met
Hello Folks,

I've read most of the posts, including those from Ken . . . have the shop manual but still can not figure out how to remove the 1984 "4+3" overdrive "console switch" .

Again this is for a 1984, and not a 1985, whereas the overdrive switch is located on top of the shifter.

In advance, thanks . . .

hi

On my 84 the switch is located on the consoule next to my drivers window switch. Whats wrong with yours? vette-05.jpg

On my 84 the switch is located on the consoule next to my drivers window switch. Whats wrong with yours?View attachment 12822

Doug,

Wow super clean 84' you have . . .

I have no power to my overdrive, the overdrive light does 'not' come on, nor is there overdrive in 2-4th. I replaced the overdrive relay, on the firewall, there's (2) relays there, one for the fuel pump (I did not replace) then the overdrive (replaced) is the one closest to the valve cover (is that correct)?

Still no overdrive light on the dash nor no overdrive in 2-4th.

I've taken a look at overdrive "switch", located on the console next to the 4sp shifter - it looked real clean (have 34K miles on the car), but for the life of me, I was unable to determine how to remove or test the overdrive "Switch" - any thoughts here?

Thanks . . .

Making progress . . .

With the battery disconnected:

Without removing the overdrive "connector", I was able to remove the (2) screws holding the overdrive "switch", whereas I could attach an ohm meter to the (2) contacts at the rear of the overdrive console "switch".

Then I flipped the overdrive 'switch", the ohm reading went from .000 to 000.3, then dropped to 000.2 then to 000.1

Comments please . . .

Making progress . . .

With the battery disconnected:

Without removing the overdrive "connector", I was able to remove the (2) screws holding the overdrive "switch", whereas I could attach an ohm meter to the (2) contacts at the rear of the overdrive console "switch".

Then I flipped the overdrive 'switch", the ohm reading went from .000 to 000.3, then dropped to 000.2 then to 000.1

Comments please . . .

Making progress, but still no power:

Just tested, with the battery connected, and the ignition "ON", the motor not running, performed a voltage test at the "overdrive toggle "switch" to see what volts are there?

When I flipped the overdrive toggle switch to "ON", there were NO volts at the overdrive switch.

A week ago I checked the "gage" (overdrive) fuse in the fuse box, and it looked good, so I did not change it out.

Your thoughts?

Easy enough to probe for 12v on both sides of that fuse, versus a visual OK. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom