Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1984 Corvette stalling....any suggestions

Msaby

The car had been sitting for some time in the garage. I decided to flush the cooling system and perform the neglected maintenance on the vehicle. I flushed the cooling system, replaced all the hoses and the coolant sensor. I was driving it home from the garage and the vehicle was running fine, but right before I got home it started to run very rough. When i pulled into the garage the engine stalled. I can start the car but it idles rough sometimes it will stall. If I try to press the accelerator it will stall. Can anyone assist me here or know where I might find a online service manual? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

The car had been sitting for some time in the garage. I flushed the cooling system, replaced all the hoses and the coolant sensor. I was driving it home from the garage and the vehicle was running fine, but right before I got home it started to run very rough. When i pulled into the garage the engine stalled.

How long was the car sitting? How many garages do you have? How far is it between your garages? You need a Factory Service Manual (FSM). Much better than online information. Try eBay.

When the engine is running, is the spray pattern from your fuel injectors smooth and equal between the two injectors? These are visible under your air filter cover. If the car was sitting for more than a year, you may need some fresh gasoline. Which coolant sensor did you replace? There are three in the engine. Why did you replace it? How did you determine that it needed to be replaced?

How long was the car sitting? How many garages do you have? How far is it between your garages? You need a Factory Service Manual (FSM). Much better than online information. Try eBay.

When the engine is running, is the spray pattern from your fuel injectors smooth and equal between the two injectors? These are visible under your air filter cover. If the car was sitting for more than a year, you may need some fresh gasoline. Which coolant sensor did you replace? There are three in the engine. Why did you replace it? How did you determine that it needed to be replaced?

The car was sitting about a year, 5 garages, about a 1/4 mile or less between my house garage and my other garages. The spray pattern appears to be smooth. I replaced the coolant sensor (CTS) for the ecm. The one located in the front of the intake manifold on the passenger side of the engine. I replaced the CTS because I was doing a coolant flush and replaced all the hoses. Since i was going to do all of that I felt I might as well replace the sensor.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
It could be ethanol gas. Back in the day, I'd park my motorcycle when cold weather hit and in Spring ride. After ethanol gas; I wasted time tuning until I drained the tank and added fresh gas. Today, I use Sta-bil in the HD.
I've taken apart those little carburetors on chain saws, string trimmers and mowers to unclog them. Now, 2 or 4 cycle, I use non-ethanol and they start just fine.

This might sound stupid, it could be the gas...

I'd be looking at the old gas as well.
Drain the tank, add fresh gas with some stabil or Seafoam for good measure and to help clean out what the EPA left behind.
Bobmo

Problem solved! The short fuel hose in the tank (Attached to the pump) had begun to break down. The hose was extremely soft almost like a sponge and it had a small hole. I replace the hose and WOW everything is running great again. Well Suspension and brakes are next..

Thanks
Mike

Thanks for the update! Love it when the solution is simple and cheap to repair.
Bobmo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom