Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1985 dana 44 cover seal RTV or gasket?

BlueCorvette

Corvette
1985 two tone blue Z51 4+3
I have my diff apart to change all the seals, the RTV seal was leaking, original seal. I'd like to make sure I don't have to disassemble again, so I'd like to do the cover seal right.

should I go with RTV or a gasket?

I see "Fel-Pro RDS 55475 Rear Axle/Differential Seal" online that looks exactly like what I would need for my dana 44. But I never see that listed as compatible with corvettes on any site. Or any other gaskets, really.
Does anyone know what this is? Would I want to use this over RTV?

If that won't work, what brand RTV has the best results? Like I said you can't just pop the cover off and try again if it starts leaking.

Thanks
[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

I have my diff apart to change all the seals, the RTV seal was leaking, original seal. I'd like to make sure I don't have to disassemble again, so I'd like to do the cover seal right.

should I go with RTV or a gasket?

I see "Fel-Pro RDS 55475 Rear Axle/Differential Seal" online that looks exactly like what I would need for my dana 44. But I never see that listed as compatible with corvettes on any site. Or any other gaskets, really.
Does anyone know what this is? Would I want to use this over RTV?

If that won't work, what brand RTV has the best results? Like I said you can't just pop the cover off and try again if it starts leaking.

Thanks

I have always used a quality Black RTV Permatex or Felpro never had any real problem, the main thing is to properly clean and wipe down the surfaces and follow the sealant instructions and allow the sealant to set up a bit before throwing the lube in.

GM calls for a sealer #9636067. I can't find it anywhere, so I'm using the equivalent. The Permatex Ultra Black should do the trick. Mine did come with RTV sealing it. The black ultra has better oil resistance than the red.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom