Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1985 New Tires

Sld_Gld

Corvette
2005 Silver Coupe
It's time to replace the Goodyear GT+4 tires on my 1985 coupe. As it has been many years since I purchased the last tires, any recommendations would be much appreciated. I would like to soften the ride a bit and minimize noise on the highway. I'm using the original rims. Thanks for your help!

I checked TireRack.com and they only list one street tire for a stock wheeled '85 Vette - the BFG g-Force Sport Comp-2.
If this is true, you don't have many options to choose from.

Almost forgot, Welcome to the CAC!

Last edited:
Welcome .I can't add anything of any help as if they are not listed on tire rack it's probably non existent .A local dealer might have better pricing .

You might take a look here at Nitto. The dealer put a set on my 96. Probably not the greatest in the world but they seem to be doing ok and I didn't have to pay for them. :happyanim::rotfl:happyanim:

Tuna is right about the only Tires BFG offering being the G-force Sport Comp 2.

Click the link and fill in the drop downs. There were a few choices for 85.

Find a Tire

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. We're leaving on a 10-day vacation. I'll check it out after we return.

Dennis R.

Thanks for the tip. We're leaving on a 10-day vacation. I'll check it out after we return.

Dennis R.

Hows it going?

The dealer had replaced the rear tires on my car. Guess they were still in the guilt kiss butt mode because I bought my wife's Denali there after the vette. Anyways they sold me a set of matching tires for the front. Tires mounted and balanced for $334. I can't complain at all. Way better handling and ride with new shoes all the way around.

Trying to figure out how to get them to sell me 2 more complete sets while they love me for less than 1k. ;LOL;LOL;LOL

Hows it going?

The dealer had replaced the rear tires on my car. Guess they were still in the guilt kiss butt mode because I bought my wife's Denali there after the vette. Anyways they sold me a set of matching tires for the front. Tires mounted and balanced for $334. I can't complain at all. Way better handling and ride with new shoes all the way around.

Trying to figure out how to get them to sell me 2 more complete sets while they love me for less than 1k. ;LOL;LOL;LOL

I checked the tires listed on the Nitto site. Unfortunately they do not offer tires for the 16" rims on my car. As I'm striving to leave the car as near to original spec's as possible, I'm reluctant to replace the original rims with a larger size. Appears as if BFG is my only option. Thanks for your help regardless!

Multimile Mirada GTX comes in a 255/50/16 size. It's listed as an all-season tire and is comparable price to the BFG's.
I need rears for my '85 and am still trying to decide. The all-season aspect is tempting as sub-40 degree weather often overlaps Corvette season in Minnesota.
I'll probably wind up with the BFG's, but it looks like I'm going to have to go to 17" rims at some point.

I have Falken's on my 85 and Nitto's on my 96, both are good riding and not noisy
G

I have Falken's on my 85 and Nitto's on my 96, both are good riding and not noisy
G

Thanks for the feedback. Are you running with 16" wheels on your '85, or have you upgraded to perhaps 17"?

I had a set of the BFG's installed last week, and while I've only put on a few miles, I'm very pleased with the improvement in handling and ride. Thanks again for your help!

I checked TireRack.com and they only list one street tire for a stock wheeled '85 Vette - the BFG g-Force Sport Comp-2.
If this is true, you don't have many options to choose from.

Almost forgot, Welcome to the CAC!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom