Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1985 rims on a 1990-they work fine

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Hey guys, check this out. I decided not to burn up my new Bridgestone SO2s on the Autox track. I dug out these old 1985 rims with shaved down BFG Euro ZR T/A radials.

Since these are just for racing, I thought I would have some fun with them. This yellow paint makes them POP.

The really weird thing is, they fit the car almost perfect. In fact, you can hardly notice a difference in the way they sit in the fender.

Did not get to use them today as the event was rained out.

I did not say they look good!

In fact, I wanted them to look crazy. Otherwise, I might as well made the car look five years older at a glance with those old saw mill rims.

I am excited about this, because I can burn these tires to the ground this season and nobody will cry about it!

It just surprised me they fit so well. I know if I had tried putting 90 rims on a 85 they would not fit at all without spacers.

Just kidding ya Chris. ;)

As a matter-of-fact, I like the style of the earlier C4 wheels. It's just that yellow was such a shock when I first saw them! :L

_ken :w

I have a set of those faker covers that go on the 84-87 rims and make the center solid, kind of like a 88-89 17" style. Nikki bought them for me when we were just dating back in 1990 or so.

Anyway, I wanted to paint them yellow and have her do a smiley face on each one. Yes that is crazy, but I think you get the picture. It is for autocross and drag racing, so I might as well have fun.

Well, I went up in the attic, and could only find three of the discs. I already bought a can of yellow NASCAR approved spray paint, and had about an hour in a half on my hands to kill (seeing as how the big block is just sitting on the floor waiting for a flywheel).

So, I decided just to paint the whole rim yellow. They actually came out pretty nice. I was thinking how hot these would have looked back in the 80's when everything was monochromatic. I want to get some SCCA stickers and put them on there for the added effect.

BTW, we went to the autox event today only to leave due to a the rain. Ended up driving the car to Church just like you see it. I was getting some strange looks in traffic!

Total investment less than $5.00. One can of yellow paint, half a can of primer I already had, some masking tape I already had, a scotch bright pad I already had, some Dupont final clean I already had, and a garbage bag to mask of the tire.

Hey that's..........

Uh..different
er...unusual
Ah..LOUD

TURN THOSE RIMS DOWN!

looks like my kids RC car!

LOL

Mike

Hmm. What is the size of the old tires--are they 17 inch? The standard size was changed from 16 to 17 inch for the '89 year.

Also I think my 17's are 9.9 inch (275/zr40X17). Your Z51 is wider than than, isn't it?

Lots less rubber on the road for you..

And by the way, yellow looks great.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom