Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1985 Wheel size

Can anyone tell me how to tell if my 1985 has 16 x 8.5 in. wheels in front and 16 x 9.5 in. in the rear. The Miscellaneous Specs page says so, but I had my tires balanced and they rotated the wheels front to back. So now do I have the wider ones in front? How do I tell without removing the tires from the wheels and measuring?
Anybody know?
Thanks,
Gus
:confused

So I guess My real question is are all the wheels the same size or wder in the rear and how to tell?
Thx.

Gus,

If you have the FE1 suspension then you have 16x8.5 all the way around. If you have Z51 then you have 16x9.5 all the way around. Same size tires front and back regardless of option.
So no, you shouldn't have staggered rim sizes.

The first time the staggered rims/tires show up is in 90 on the ZR1. If you exclude ZR1 then starting in 93 they went to staggered rims/tires on all models.

Graham

85 wheel size

Gus,

I do believe that the base car had 8.5 inch wide rims all around BUT the Z51 package had 8.5 up front and 9.5 in the rear. If you have the Z51 pkg, the wheels are NOT to be rotated. The size, and side of installation of the rim is cast on the back of the wheel. The 9.5 rim is 1/2 inch offset deeper on the inside and 1/2 inch deeper on the outside. rotating them may cause rubbing and/or handling problems. Any doubt take the wheel off and look at the back of the rim.

I have a Z-51 and it has 16x9.5 all around and the build sheet backs that up. 16.9.5 with tire size 255/55/16.
And as the rims and tires are directional you can only rotate from the front to the back.

The 84 Corvette got different rims front and back, and then that did not happen again until the 90 ZR-1.

My Dad worked for Chevrolet in 84. The different rim size caused all kinds of problems, and in the end was done away with.

My 85 has the Z51 and all the rims are 16x9.5 . They are marked on the backside and it says in the specs that they are.

Question on the power effects.....how do you adjust them? Do you have to get up underneath it to adjust from quiet to rumbling...or can it be done from inside...

curious minds want to know...thanks:cool :upthumbs

If you go to my web-site http://www.gusvette.faithweb.com
click on power effects and the second picture top right shows the control. Yes you have to get out and its an easy reach to adjust them. I tried it after running on the freeway for about half an hour, not a good idea without a glove. :mad lol. The old pictures look like they used to be adjustable by a cable that ran into the car, but they must have discontinued that idea?
Let me know if you get them. I am very happy with mine!!!!
Gus:w

wheel size???????

hi all--i looked it up in the black book and 69myway was right---only in 84 included in the z-51 susp pack. were the wheels for one year 8.5 front and 9-5 rear-- but that said---who knows what is actually there!! I had the package on my 84 coupe--8.5/9.5------Now my uncle on the otherhand-bought an 87 convertible from its original owner 5 years ago (who was a friend of mine- I hooked them up)--his car has the 9.5's all around--wait but it's a convertible --it couldnt come from the factory with em no z-51---but my friend insists he never changed the rims-- that they are the originals--see, ya just never know!!--by the way these rims are for sale----almost perfect-- no dings--unc. put on some chrome 87-and they look gr8 with the spinner pack added-----have a good day ----------:s scott

Gus, when I last talked to Joe, he told me they had the bugs worked out and they were reviving the remote-control system for the Power Effects capsules. :confused

_ken :w

Well, it sounds like 84 models are the year they used different wheels. The extra set I got must be from an 84. Glad to know now. But I would still check the wheels Gus, just to make sure someone didn't put 84 wheels on it. 84 and 85 were the only years the wheels had black on them so you never know, they could have been switched. It's nice to be sure. I had an 86 & 88 before with the Z51 package and the wheels were all the same but I have had an 85 with different size wheels and it didn't have the Z51. Someone must have put the 84 wheels on it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom